Sign in to follow this  
jared

Western Digital Marketing Lies

Let me preface this with a disclaimer that just because you own a Western Digital hard drive, it does not mean you have to back up their marketing department.

The 8 MB buffer on the WD Caviar Special Edition 200 GB hard drives provide a higher percentage of cache hits and significantly faster time to data than industry-standard 2 MB versions. The larger buffer improves performance because there is a reduction in the number of physical accesses to the disk. End-user performance is enhanced through increased speed in gaming; faster music and video downloads; faster storage and retrieval of digital photos. This allows data to stream from the disk uninterrupted by mechanical operations.

Yeah, like the hard drive is a bottleneck in downloading music and video. :rolleyes: I find it hard to believe this BS made it past the head of the marketing department. Has anyone else noticed this?

http://www.wdc.com/company/releases/PressR...sp?release=1438

I hope I am not alone in finding this type of marketing BS very distasteful.

Reminds me of Intel's claim that the Pentium III will make your "internet" faster.

At least WD didn't say internet download. You could be downloading from the local GigE music & video server, in which case, I suppose a large cache may make an infinitesimal improvement.

For most consumers, that statement is either plain ignornance by marketing or shameless distortion of facts.

But... but... when I installed my 120GB 8MB drive, my downloads were so much faster!

I bet they meant music and video playback.

Take a closer look at the last sentence ... "This allows data to stream **from** the disk uninterrupted by mechanical operations."

I think the person who wrote that PR has a totally different meaning for "download" ... I agree will (willy agrees will :wink:) ... I think they meant playback/retrieval or something like that ...

Of course what they say is wrong, but who cares? Does anyone really read this type of unmeaningful marketing bla-bla, and then is dumb enough to base a purchase decision on it? I doubt it.

Interesting, has anyone else noticed the increasing use (amongst novices) of the term "download" to mean absolutely any form of data transfer to/from absolutely any media and also even including program instalation. I find it kind of annoying.

Guest russofris
Interesting, has anyone else noticed the increasing use (amongst novices) of the term "download" to mean absolutely any form of data transfer to/from absolutely any media and also even including program instalation. I find it kind of annoying.

It is not quite as bad as referring to the sheet-metal case of a PC as the "Hard Drive".

Frank

I detest marketing people. Explotation of people's psychology to get them to support the micro and macro economy. So far, the only way that I've found any sort of "marketing" to work on me is through the word of mouth. That's pretty much it. Experiences says a lot...at least for me.

My older sister's into marketing...lol.....and it's like...everytime she wants to tell me about something new that she's found in Toronto, I always bug her about wanting to "sell" it to me. Hehe...then I laugh at her..and walk away or say no.

Marketing is all BS anyways. Like....UP TO...this speed......well...yah...upto your [beep] too!

Of course what they say is wrong, but who cares? Does anyone really read this type of unmeaningful marketing bla-bla, and then is dumb enough to base a purchase decision on it? I doubt it.

Maybe not anyone here, but evidently this type of marketing works on the general population or the advertising agencies wouldn't be using it. Sometimes it really annoys me how uniformed the average consumer is that they fall for this hype. It annoys me even more when the customer has to waste tech support's time because a product they purchased doesn't live up to it's hype. A perfect example is buying something that says "increases your speed by up to 200%. While technically not false advertising if one person out of 100 gets a 200% increase(maybe only because they had a very badly configured system to start with), it is misleading, and you can bet tech support will be swamped with calls from every person who gets less than that 200% increase. We desperately need truth in advertising, and with more emphasis on average results rather than once in a blue moon exceptional ones. A little classroom time teaching children to be more critical consumers and not believe all the hype wouldn't hurt either.

You'll need a gigabit nic (and a server that actually will give you 30mb/s+) to move the download bottleneck to the disk with those 66GB/plater drives.

Maybe not anyone here, but evidently this type of marketing works on the general population or the advertising agencies wouldn't be using it. Sometimes it really annoys me how uniformed the average consumer is that they fall for this hype. It annoys me even more when the customer has to waste tech support's time because a product they purchased doesn't live up to it's hype. A perfect example is buying something that says "increases your speed by up to 200%. While technically not false advertising if one person out of 100 gets a 200% increase(maybe only because they had a very badly configured system to start with), it is misleading, and you can bet tech support will be swamped with calls from every person who gets less than that 200% increase. We desperately need truth in advertising, and with more emphasis on average results rather than once in a blue moon exceptional ones. A little classroom time teaching children to be more critical consumers and not believe all the hype wouldn't hurt either.

That is a good way of putting it. I agree with you about the classroom time thing. I remember getting instruction like this as a kid, but I would wager most kids do not get this type of real-world instruction.

You'll need a gigabit nic (and a server that actually will give you 30mb/s+) to move the download bottleneck to the disk with those 66GB/plater drives.

I think you meant 30MB/sec, not 30Mb/sec. 30Megabits/sec is only 3.75 MegaBytes per second. :wink:

I always read everything mostly but i never believe it. Heck i don't like tech support from any company because i am my own tech support most of the time. Heck these forums are better than tech support on the phone and thats the sad truth most of the time. Inless you get a real good tech support person on the phone.

These SR forums have solved many my of most technical questions because everyone here tends to think like a user does.

I don't consider support personnel thumbing through a rule book of simple problems/solutions (i.e. is your power cord plugged in) to be effective technical support when all you want to know is how to get a freakin' DMA mode check box to appear for your CD-ROM drives!