Sign in to follow this  
Satan's Cheerleader

WD JB drive now, or wait for Barracuda V?

I just got a response from Seagate sales and it seems the ATA Barracuda V won't be around until the first or second week of October. The S-ATA won't be out until late November or early December. Also, FYI Maxtor says MaxLine II Plus 200gb will be out late October.

Hard disk is the last part I need to order for my new box and I'm getting impatient. I was hoping to get Seagate due to their renowned reliability but if people here think WD is up to par I may be persuaded to go with them.

If I did go with WD should I get one of their 200gb JB drives, or the 120gb JB X 2? The cheapest the 200gb JB can be found for is $435 on Pricewatch. The WD1200JB can be had for $156, hence $312 for 240 gb.

I would go for the dual WD 12000JBs. In fact, that is what I am running on my primary machine right now...

Several reasons:

1) S-ATA is cool, but the performance improvement will be minimal under most real world circumstances. Certainly not worth waiting 3-4 months for...

2) It is unclear to me what level of Big Drive support will be necessary to use the 200Gig WD drives. You could end up with BIOS or driver upgrades needed or incompatibilty.

3) In many instances, having two seperate spindles to split disk operations across is very advantageous to system speed. Like reading from one drive, editing in memory, and streaming the results to the second drive. Or file copies across drives...

4) The temperature and sound levels generated by a WD12000JB is very small, enough so that 2 of them are still unnoticeable.

5) The two drive solution appears cheaper!!

Future Shock

I would go for the dual WD 12000JBs.  In fact, that is what I am running on my primary machine right now...

Several reasons:

1) S-ATA is cool, but the performance improvement will be minimal under most real world circumstances.  Certainly not worth waiting 3-4 months for...

2) It is unclear to me what level of Big Drive support will be necessary to use the 200Gig WD drives.  You could end up with BIOS or driver upgrades needed or incompatibilty.  

3) In many instances, having two seperate spindles to split disk operations across is very advantageous to system speed.  Like reading from one drive, editing in memory, and streaming the results to the second drive.  Or file copies across drives...

4) The temperature and sound levels generated by a WD12000JB is very small, enough so that 2 of them are still unnoticeable.

5) The two drive solution appears cheaper!!

Future Shock

Agree! I'm using afew WD1200JBs myself. Using 4 WD1200JBs on my new IT7-Max/P-IV 2.53GHz and never have any problems with the heat or noise (Plus 2 D740X 80GB, 1 IBM 120GXP 40GB,2 WD1200BB. All these drive in one Machine! Though Using IBM as a boot drive :twisted: )

Scew the Barracuda V, it will only hve a 1 puny year warranty. Western Digital's SE will still have 3 years warranty although their 2MB buffer versions will be reduced to a single year too.

The Cuda V is a newer drive, so you can expect an incremental improvement in mechanics and such. However, throwing in 8Mb of cache is more than just chips - you have to enable the drive microcode to take advantage of it properly. WD has gotten that right on the WD JB series - it's hard to guess how Seagate will fare with the Vs. Seagate DID screw up the microcode of the Cude IV with respect to RAID 0 performance - and had to replace the entire drive to make it work well.

Future Shock

I can only tell you about my personal experience with those drives:

3x WD1000JB - 2 failures in 3 months

2x 'Cuda IV - no failures in a year

As for the 'Cuda V, not even Seagate knows how reliable they'll prove to be. But right now, in terms of reliability, my vote goes to Seagate.

The reduced warranty on Seagate drives is still just a rumor - the datasheet lists a 3-year warranty period:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsa...085,556,00.html

That's not really indicative of quality.

I've purchased 10 JB drives for my company and they live in 24x7 file servers. No failures at all.

As for my lone Barracuda IV, well, it hasn't failed either.

I suppose my own experience has no more weight than the other poster, but my point is you shouldn't think that 2 out of 3 of these drives will fail in 3 months!

Personally I really would wait for Serial-ATA. I will celebrate when I have it in my own system, for these flat cables are a very old evil we should have rid ourselves of years earlier if the industry was a bit more flexible. Never more, I say.

Speaking of the drives I've really come to like quiet running drives after years of having high pitched drives annoying my ears. The motor sound is much more irritating than the seeks, wich makes me only being interested in the Seagate line of todays 7200rpm drives. More performance is nice but only if you can block out the noise. I prefer not having to stuff my case with sound blocking material that lowers the coolng potential.

The Cuda V is a newer drive, so you can expect an incremental improvement in mechanics and such.  However, throwing in 8Mb of cache is more than just chips - you have to enable the drive microcode to take advantage of it properly.  WD has gotten that right on the WD JB series - it's hard to guess how Seagate will fare with the Vs.  Seagate DID screw up the microcode of the Cude IV with respect to RAID 0 performance - and had to replace the entire drive to make it work well.

OTOH, Seagate has also gotten things right with 8MB of cache on two models of drives that involve fluid bearings, big cats, and the number 15...

The Cuda V is a newer drive, so you can expect an incremental improvement in mechanics and such.  However, throwing in 8Mb of cache is more than just chips - you have to enable the drive microcode to take advantage of it properly.  WD has gotten that right on the WD JB series - it's hard to guess how Seagate will fare with the Vs.  Seagate DID screw up the microcode of the Cude IV with respect to RAID 0 performance - and had to replace the entire drive to make it work well.

OTOH, Seagate has also gotten things right with 8MB of cache on two models of drives that involve fluid bearings, big cats, and the number 15...

Yeah, but those Cheetahs don't have problems working in RAID arrays either - so how did they get it wrong in their 'Cudas? Seperate IDE and SCSI development teams, maybe?

FS

Yeah, but those Cheetahs don't have problems working in RAID arrays either - so how did they get it wrong in their 'Cudas?  Seperate IDE and SCSI development teams, maybe?

FS

Yes. SCSI and IDE groups are usually completely separate.

I don't wanna invest any more money on conventional (parallel) IDE/ATA drives.

I'll wait for 8MB buffer Serial ATA drives from Maxtor and Seagate.

I was planning on buying a few of the new Barracuda Vs but needed IDE and from some reason Seagate will only be releasing the S-ATA version w/ the 8MB buffer. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

You can check here.

Anybody know why this is? The buffer, the silence, the wrong connector!

The Seagate Barracuda V will only have a 1 year warranty because Seagate said all of their IDE HDs would only have a 1 year warranty so i would say go with the WD 8 mb of cache sense it will always have a 3 year warranty no matter when you buy it sense WD is keeping it a 3 year warranty.