Sign in to follow this  
Bonzo the Chimp

Western Digital 80 Gig 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache, any good?

Normally I'd ignore this type of message or point out that you can see reviews of many drives (Hence the name "StorageReview") or do a search in the forums, but at the moment different parts of the site are working sporadically at best.

The executive summary is that the 8MB Western Digital drives are at the moment the fastest IDE drives in the world, and that they will almost certainly be surpassed by Maxtor's 80GB/platter drives in the near future (though just about computer component will, at any given time, be surpassed in the near future :)

Well Maxtor Claims their new MaXline Plus II does 55MBs speeds, but they dont say if it's with a 2/8MB buffer.

They're fast, quiet, reliable and cheap (at least at www.newegg.com). I love my 2 WD800JB drives - I got them two weeks ago.

Guest Eugene
Well Maxtor Claims their new MaXline Plus II does 55MBs speeds, but they dont say if it's with a 2/8MB buffer.

The buffer size would be irrelevant in what transfer rates are achieved.

The 800JBs are very good. I have one that I replaced my IBM "DeathStar" with and I can't even hear the seek noise over my case fan, CoolerMaster AMD fan, and the fan on my ATI Radeon 8500. And as for preformance, well, read the SR reviews :)

I have 6 of them total, 3 in each of two machines, and love them. Got all of them as soon as they hit the store shelves and haven't had a problem yet. They feel very fast and are amazingly quiet.