Sign in to follow this  
HisMajestyTheKing

Yet More Maxtors!

well i have one, and it's most likely Quantum based. notice that Maxtor drives have the read write heads arms mounted reversed from the other Manufacturers? yes they do ever since their first drives they have been doing that, the D740X looks and has everything like a quantum because it even seeks like one but maxtor implemented some of their stuff to the drive like the bottom of the HDD is Quantum/Maxtor based. but here are some pics to show what i mean.

Original Maxtor

Bottom

Maxtor D740X

Bottom

Quantum FireBall AS

Bottom

Notice that the only thing that changed from the Quantum FireBall AS to the Maxtor D740X was the lines at the bottom of the drive, and that the original Maxtor's Have the Read/Write Head Arms oposite from the others. And Quantum FireBall AS is a 3 Platter design at 60GB(20GB platters)

I'm surprised, though, that more attention seems to be on the 320GB 5,400rpm drive than on the 3.2ms 15K drive.

Leo

Why not?

The 15K SCSI fans aside, standard 7,200 RPM IDE drives are plenty fast for 99% of home users.

These 320GB 5,400 RPM drives are reasonably priced, really big, cool running, and reliable. Just what people need for digital video, music, etc.

Jason

For some reason i cant acess the pictures from the board, but if this happens to you then copy and paste it's address.

I wonder if the new Maxtor's are Quantum based or Maxtor Based, because the D740X is Quantum based.

I don't remember Quantum having a 3 disk 7200 rpm platform, so I would suspect it would be a Maxtor-derived design. Ditto with the 4 disk 5400 rpm platform.

Of course, we'll know once pictures are available, no? ;)

For the 7200rpm drives, both the Quantum Fireball Plus AS and LM had 3 platters, so they could be quantum based. For the 5400 rpm models, quantum did not have a 4 platter design, so there is not much chance that it will be a quantum based drive. I think the D540X was a maxtor based drive...

I don't understand why maxtor is going with two drive lines. I mean i'm all excited about the drives, but I am obliged to buy the 250GB model to get a decent warranty?

Frankly, do you think that maxtor really designed two hard drives series? Is the DiamondMax Plus 9 and the Maxline II Plus totally different drives? Or is it the same design, with one more platter and a 3 year warranty?

I wonder if the new Maxtor's are Quantum based or Maxtor Based, because the D740X is Quantum based.

I don't remember Quantum having a 3 disk 7200 rpm platform, so I would suspect it would be a Maxtor-derived design. Ditto with the 4 disk 5400 rpm platform.

Of course, we'll know once pictures are available, no? ;)

For the 7200rpm drives, both the Quantum Fireball Plus AS and LM had 3 platters, so they could be quantum based. For the 5400 rpm models, quantum did not have a 4 platter design, so there is not much chance that it will be a quantum based drive. I think the D540X was a maxtor based drive...

yes the 5400RPM line are Maxtor based, but the 7200RPM line since the D740X are Quantum based.

well i have one, and it's most likely Quantum based. notice that Maxtor drives have the read write heads arms mounted reversed from the other Manufacturers? yes they do ever since their first drives they have been doing that, the D740X looks and has everything like a quantum because it even seeks like one but maxtor implemented some of their stuff to the drive like the bottom of the HDD is Quantum/Maxtor based. but here are some pics to show what i mean.

Original Maxtor

Bottom

Maxtor D740X

Bottom

Quantum FireBall AS

Bottom

Notice that the only thing that changed from the Quantum FireBall AS to the Maxtor D740X was the lines at the bottom of the drive, and that the original Maxtor's Have the Read/Write Head Arms oposite from the others. And Quantum FireBall AS  is a 3 Platter design at 60GB(20GB platters)

Apparently, I am Forbidden from seeing only the Maxtor D740X and Original Maxtor when I click on the picture links you posted. I can see the Quantum FireBall AS fine. I "don't have permission to assess anything on this site" :evil: , and I would really like to see those drive pictures. Any way of fixing?