Sign in to follow this  
HisMajestyTheKing

Yet More Maxtors!

Guest russofris
320 GB ??

Wow, that's a lot of Pr0n!!!

But seriously.....

I can hardly wait either. I currently run 2xWD120's and 2xD540X 160's in two arays. At times (when doing HUFFYUV caps) I find myself running low on space. I am looking forward to a day when disk space, CPU time, and available RAM are forgotten concepts. I hate having to worry about HW limitations, and this brings us yet another step closer.

One problem, It appears that Tape backup technology isn't progressing nearly as fast as HDD's are. I used to back up my machine fully. Now I don't bother, and simply save my important docs to a fileserver on my network. Not everyone can afford a 17xDLT auto changer. Most people can't even afford the tapes alone.

Call me aprehensive......

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

One problem, It appears that Tape backup technology isn't progressing nearly as fast as HDD's are.  I used to back up my machine fully.  Now I don't bother, and simply save my important docs to a fileserver on my network.  Not everyone can afford a 17xDLT auto changer.  Most people can't even afford the tapes alone.

Of course, one can always backup to another HDD, and keep it unplugged between backups. That's actually what such a 320 GB 5,400 rpm beast can be pretty good for.

Leo

Oh man, i knew maxtor was up to something all this time and this drives hold the original 3 Year warranty!!! Maxtor is going to kick but with these new drives :D , also they are releasing an Atlas 15K and i want to see that thing compete with Seagate.

320 GB ??

One problem, It appears that Tape backup technology isn't progressing nearly as fast as HDD's are. I used to back up my machine fully. Now I don't bother, and simply save my important docs to a fileserver on my network. Not everyone can afford a 17xDLT auto changer. Most people can't even afford the tapes alone.

This is certainly true. The increase in density of HDDs is far outstripping the capacity increase of tape. And the highest capacity tapes such as LTO are costlier than new HDDs of the same capacity. Tape is fine for business that requires offsite backups that can withstand a bit of earthquake action., but for home it really makes no financial sense. Perhaps the increased competition from cheap HDDs will lower media costs.

Yes and all for the bargain price of only $5265 :)

Plus that is 200GB compressed, if you are backing up already compressed data then it's only 100GB.

*For a limited time, buy three or more MaxLine II hard drives and get a free StorageTek PowderHorn 9310 tape silo for backup!

*Supplies are limited, several tape silos may be required for backup, buyer pays shipping, see store for details.

Yea, I knew Maxtor wouldn't let us down! ;)

320GB of goodness... Now we're finally starting to approach drive sizes beyond which keeping further track will matter less and less.

Someone else commented that we may soon be there. I think we are with CPU and RAM to some extent. I could easily drop another 256MB of RAM in my box, but why? I don't use all of the 512MB I've got now.

I've got an Athlon 1600+. Why upgrade? Everything runs as fast as I do. (at least everything that matters)

Only drive size remains an issue, but replacing eight 80GB drives with four of these will go a long way to making that come true.

Only problem is, for the first 6 months I'm sure they will be hard to find and expensive.

Then again, I remember less than 5 years ago paying $300 for Maxtor's new 11.5GB hard drive and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. Who knows what we'll see in another 5 years? Multi-terabyte hard drives for less than $300?

Eeek!

Jason

i have an external hp ultrium 215 lto 100/200g tape. it was about 3400, and the tapes are 70/each. it *SMOKES*.

most of my misc clients have a single, large dell poweredge server with small business server 2000. backups are done to a single 160gb maxtor nightly and once per month (writing over the old nightly/monthly one each time). 99.9% of restore operations are 'i oopsed this excel file...', and disks are infinitely faster, and at least you know if the media has failed. i've been hosed so many times by bad tapes (cheapasses rotating for years). they also have a 20/40g tape drive, but that's only used for monthly offsites. most of them forget to rotate the tapes.

ultrium is the way of the future for tapes, but the cost is extremely prohibitive for small businesses. i think most can find a balance in disk/tape backup combos, since tapes are only really useful for offsiting.

HellDiver originally noticed it and apparently, he is the only one.

Did any of you read the press release about the new MaxLine Plus II drives? Maxtor advertise up to 250GB, not up to 240GB. And apparently, the MaxLine Plus II will also be available in 200GB format instead of a more normal 160GB (2x80GB platters). Weird isn't it?

The MaXLine family includes the 5400-RPM MaXLine II, designed for capacities up to 320 GB and the 7200-RPM MaXLine Plus II, designed for capacities up to 250 GB.

And no, apparently, this isn't a typo.

The MaxLine Plus II spec page tends to prove what I wrote above. Same goes for the MaxLine II, which will be available in 250GB and 320GB capacities.

How does Maxtor make a 250GB drive with 80GB platters? Probably just like Western Digital can make a 200GB Special Edition HDD using 60GB platters...

The 250 GB size is likely done the same WD did 200 and 100 GB before (head stretching or whatever they call the technique ;)). Why 250 GB? So if you have four of them you come out with a nice round 1 TB. :) Or with two, half a TB.

I figure the next milestone is which company hits 1 TB first, much like the race to be the first company to hit 1 GB several years ago.

I believe the "HD. WAR" 's just begun!!!

Looks like the former champion "Maxtor" is going to take back his crown from the hands of the current champion "Weston digital".

But I don't think the current champion "W.D." is going to sit still for this.

The most interesting thing is what "W.D." 'll do to counter the challanger's attack?

HellDiver originally noticed it and apparently, he is the only one.

Did any of you read the press release about the new MaxLine Plus II drives?  Maxtor advertise up to 250GB, not up to 240GB.  And apparently, the MaxLine Plus II will also be available in 200GB format instead of a more normal 160GB (2x80GB platters).  Weird isn't it?

The MaXLine family includes the 5400-RPM MaXLine II, designed for capacities up to 320 GB and the 7200-RPM MaXLine Plus II, designed for capacities up to 250 GB.

And no, apparently, this isn't a typo.

Well, the MaxLine Plus II drives are supposed to be running at 7200 RPM, while the MaxLine II drives are 5400 RPM. Generally, for running at the same generation of DSP/chipset on the drive, they have to pack the bits less closely for a higher-RPM drive (as IBM did, they released a 7200 "performance" model, as well as a 5400 "storage" model, using the same heads/chipset for each generation). So maybe they are using 4 80GB platters for the Plus II 250GB drive, but due to the speed/density issues, they "derated" the platters to slightly more than 60GB each instead. If those capacities quoted (320GB @ 5400 RPM, 250GB @ 7200 RPM) are the max for each drive, and mechanically both have the same number of physical platters, then that would seem to support my hypothesis.

Well, the MaxLine Plus II drives are supposed to be running at 7200 RPM, while the MaxLine II drives are 5400 RPM. Generally, for running at the same generation of DSP/chipset on the drive, they have to pack the bits less closely for a higher-RPM drive (as IBM did, they released a 7200 "performance" model, as well as a 5400 "storage" model, using the same heads/chipset for each generation). So maybe they are using 4 80GB platters for the Plus II 250GB drive, but due to the speed/density issues, they "derated" the platters to slightly more than 60GB each instead. If those capacities quoted (320GB @ 5400 RPM, 250GB @ 7200 RPM) are the max for each drive, and mechanically both have the same number of physical platters, then that would seem to support my hypothesis.

According to this PDF, the 7200RPM drives have 3 platters maximum.

Steve

Glad to see that Eugene corrected the front page announcement.

I am looking forward to a day when disk space, CPU time, and available RAM are forgotten concepts.  I hate having to worry about HW limitations, and this brings us yet another step closer.

:lol: You wish!!! HUFFYUV, you say? :twisted: Well, tell ya what, did you calc how much space your captures will take once we step up to 1080i/1080p?

I have a certain interest in computers history, and one thing it proves beyond reasonable doubt is that the day when you didn't have to worry about your HW never existed, and is likely to never come around. That's the kind of weird animals we, humans, are - no matter how powerful the tools we already have are, we'll always come up with some problem to bring our hardware down to its knees...

Worry not, Frank, methinks you'll be concerned with your HW limitations forever and ever!!! (is this a definition of hell, or what? ;) )

I wonder if the new Maxtor's are Quantum based or Maxtor Based, because the D740X is Quantum based.

I don't remember Quantum having a 3 disk 7200 rpm platform, so I would suspect it would be a Maxtor-derived design. Ditto with the 4 disk 5400 rpm platform.

Of course, we'll know once pictures are available, no? ;)

I believe the "HD. WAR" 's just begun!!!

Looks like the former champion "Maxtor" is going to take back his crown from the hands of the current champion "Weston digital".

But I don't think the current champion "W.D." is going to sit still for this.

The most interesting thing is what "W.D." 'll do to counter the challanger's attack?

Western Digital gave it's last peace of technology with the upcoming WD2000BB and WD2000JB(also FDB) models. Maxtor didnt release anything till now because they were researching their techonlogies to make a better and bigger drive like always.

Guest russofris
I am looking forward to a day when disk space, CPU time, and available RAM are forgotten concepts.  I hate having to worry about HW limitations, and this brings us yet another step closer.

:lol: You wish!!! HUFFYUV, you say? :twisted: Well, tell ya what, did you calc how much space your captures will take once we step up to 1080i/1080p?

Being a prosumer, I'm probably going to stick with 480i or 720p for a while. 1080 is simply insane, and will only have real use in professional video shops. With 1080, even the fastest 2xATA RAID 0 configs can't keep up with the stream. Personally, I am happy with 704x480.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I wonder if the new Maxtor's are Quantum based or Maxtor Based, because the D740X is Quantum based.

I don't remember Quantum having a 3 disk 7200 rpm platform, so I would suspect it would be a Maxtor-derived design. Ditto with the 4 disk 5400 rpm platform.

Of course, we'll know once pictures are available, no? ;)

Can anyone here Host the pictures for me ? plus what i have writen.