Sign in to follow this  
TimmyHH

Has anyone else received this SPAM?

I just got a SPAM message from "Vanessa Lintner" (reply@seekercenter.com) that read:

Hello,

I have visited forums.storagereview.com and noticed that your website is not listed on some search engines. I am sure that through our service the number of people who visit your website will definitely increase. SeekerCenter is a unique technology that instantly submits your website to over 500,000 search engines and directories -- a really low-cost and effective way to advertise your site. For more details please go to SeekerCenter.net.

Give your website maximum exposure today!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Vanessa Lintner

Sales & Marketing 

www.SeekerCenter.net 

There also was a picture of the StorageReview main page within the mail.

Anyone else got this? I do not hope our addresses are being sold...

I didn't get it.

Frankly, I'm perfectly willing to let SR sell the e-mail address for this account if it will help keep them up and running...it's not like I use it for anything else. That situation, of course, is not necessarily the case with everyone....

Looks like it's just a stupid bot. If you have a web-visible email address, you get that stuff all the time.

Oh, and if SR can find a junk emailer anywhere on this planet that doesen't already have my email address, they deserve every cent they can get for it!

I doubt they are selling them. Something similar happened a while back with the old forums and Davin immediately put a graphics system in place to prevent bots.

Looks like it's just a stupid bot. If you have a web-visible email address, you get that stuff all the time.

I hate bots. The sad thing is that they become more powerful and capable year by year. I get an amazing amount of spam lately. God damnit, there are people out there who really believe they will add traffic to their lousy sites this way... how stupid... :evil:

This was posted before the MBF... Figure it might be worth posting again.

I have several domains, but the one I use most often is hobday.net.

Each site I visit, store offer I sign up for, questionnaire, whatever that I do, I use a different email address. I go to SofMap (big computer chain here), I use sofmap@hobday.net. Tsutaya (video rental chain), I use tsutaya@hobday.net.

I don't have to create proper POP accounts for these addresses, as my provider (Pair Networks) lets me create rules for my email... I have various rules set up, and one of them is that if there is no other rule in place, and no POP account, send the message to a single specified account.

If I start to get a lot of spam to one certain address, I can then decide how to deal with that... I can make that address bounce. Or, if the mood strikes, I can forward that address BACK to the company who sold it!! So, if sofmap@hobday.net starts getting a lot of spam, I could forward it to webmaster@sofmap.com or sales@sofmap.com, or a whole bunch of addresses @sofmap.com. Nothing quite like being able to give the bastards back the spam that they caused!! :twisted:

Ian

Howdy Ian,

Just wondering what hosting plan you are using at pair.com?

Cheers, Pradeep.

I'm sick of messing with 2 dial up ISP webspaces lol.

Pair rocks! :)

I was on the Webmaster plan...Had big plans!! Have since decided that I don't have time to do much work on a site, so dropped down to the Advanced plan. Still not using it enough...But starting to get a site together....slowly!

Very happy with Pair though. Fast, flexable, and very high uptime.

Ian.