Sign in to follow this  
pooh

WD 8mg buffer or maxtor ata 133?

Not true, from the internal ATA66 to my PCI U133 card, i noticed faster seeking and quicker responce and also a much faster Transfer rate.

And I'm sure that you would notice an even bigger junp from your ATA33 channels...but not a really noticeable one from your ATA100s.

All I can point to is SRs own benchmark data - the ATA133 Maxtor 740 was quicker to seek (which is to a large degree mechanism dependant), but not faster to transfer (which would be interface dependant) when compared to a ATA100 WD 1200JB. I'm sure you've read it - if you have a different take on those benchies then please educate me, I may be missing something and I'm willing to admit it if I am wrong (but I currently believe I am right).

Future Shock

Not true, from the internal ATA66 to my PCI U133 card, i noticed faster seeking and quicker responce and also a much faster Transfer rate.

And I'm sure that you would notice an even bigger junp from your ATA33 channels...but not a really noticeable one from your ATA100s.

All I can point to is SRs own benchmark data - the ATA133 Maxtor 740 was quicker to seek (which is to a large degree mechanism dependant), but not faster to transfer (which would be interface dependant) when compared to a ATA100 WD 1200JB. I'm sure you've read it - if you have a different take on those benchies then please educate me, I may be missing something and I'm willing to admit it if I am wrong (but I currently believe I am right).

Future Shock

Yes you are right, the Maxtor did seek much faster in the ATA133 which was what i noticed a lot and also the seeking noise was done much faster, but in terms of transfer rate, i noticed some 4MB Speed jump in 66 to 133 but probably 500KB/s from 100 to 133 because i was doing 2 huge files that were 600MB and 1GB, So that is why i noticed some speed changed with the ATA133 card while i timed it.

No, Maxtor ATA133 Is a big joke! Look around...No one or no other brands will do that kind of gimmick! Look at the test for yourself, right here in SR and you will see the true color :evil:

That's old news and allready seen the real speeds on a 66-100 and 133 Cards. Also Chipset manufacturers have implemented ATA133, so your statement about "ATA133 is not usefull" is false. So explain to me how come i noticed speeds in overroll even when i compared it to a ATA66-100 ? and i dont think you even used this things your self to say it sucks, and i have used/have Western Digital drives and i also have them for other stuff.

Really? What are you compare with! I can't feel any difference between the 2 Maxtors ATA133 80GB and the 2 IBM 60GXP 40GB on my P-IV 2.53GHz/ABIT IT7-Max machine! It's a shame that the Maxtor ATA133 got beat by the less expensive IBMs!

If you want more proof just read the test report right here in SR! Where are the advance of Maxtor ATA133 over WD JB Series? Nothing except the Gimmick adverting IMHO! :twisted:

I don't know about you but,I'll take Western Digital's JB Series over Any Mator any time any day :wink: I've got nothing againt Maxtor But my Money better spend else where 8)

heh, Maxtor is actually the fastest seeking Drive in the EIDE world :twisted: ,and what do you mean by the two Maxtor's and IBM's ? And IBM Beats Western Digital in RAID.

Yup. What Maxtor do research on here in Australia is the cheapest way to have an Australian office without actually spending any money. It's a world-leading research office. Already they have discovered that it's actually cheaper if they limit their local warranty service to saying "no, we don't do warranty service here, you have to send it to Singapore". This pisses people off, because shipping something overseas just to get warranty service sucks big-time.

If they were to put some extra lab assistants on in their research office, they might perhaps one day discover that it's cheaper still if, once the drives arrive in Singapore, they didn't send the replacements via DHL. Freight forwarding companies like DHL are a mega-expensive way to move a hard drive around. It quite possibly costs them as much to ship the driive as it does to provide the replacement.

But then, I guess they don't need to do that anymore. One of their other research offices discovered that it's even cheaper if you just don't bother having a warranty after the first 12 months. And in the long-term, this will save them even more money, because if they keep this up, in five years or so they won't have any customers either, and then they won't have to spend anything.

One of their other research offices discovered that it's even cheaper if you just don't bother having a warranty after the first 12 months.  And in the long-term, this will save them even more money, because if they keep this up, in five years or so they won't have any customers either, and then they won't have to spend anything.

They're also will lose me as their customer here in the US! I guess it don't matter to Maxtor much since I'm just a small tiny one buyer. But, hey I'll tell all of my customers that I won't install any more Maxtor in their machines, Because of a pity 1 year Warranty :evil:

Yup. What Maxtor do research on here in Australia is the cheapest way to have an Australian office without actually spending any money. It's a world-leading research office. Already they have discovered that  it's actually cheaper if they limit their local warranty service to saying "no, we don't do warranty service here, you have to send it to Singapore".  This pisses people off, because shipping something overseas just to get warranty service sucks big-time.

If they were to put some extra lab assistants on in their research office, they might perhaps one day discover that it's cheaper still if, once the drives arrive in Singapore, they didn't send the replacements via DHL. Freight forwarding companies like DHL are a mega-expensive way to move a hard drive around. It quite possibly costs them as much to ship the driive as it does to provide the replacement.

But then, I guess they don't need to do that anymore. One of their other research offices discovered that it's even cheaper if you just don't bother having a warranty after the first 12 months.  And in the long-term, this will save them even more money, because if they keep this up, in five years or so they won't have any customers either, and then they won't have to spend anything.

oh man that sucks, Maxtor is been selfish i quess.

If it's any consolation, Maxtor Storage, the other hard drive makers have similar problems.

Seagate rely on their direct distributors to do their warranty service, which is fine as long as you know which particular distributor the drive was bought through (there used to be three of them), and so long as the DD doesn't go out of business - which Agate, the largest Seagate distributor in Oz did a year or so ago. Now, to get our Agate-supplied Seagate drives serviced, we have to send them to Singapore (which sucks) or pay a service fee (AU$33) to Achieva (who are another local Seagate DD). It's cheaper and easier to pay the $33.

WD have the same arrangement, but until a couple of years ago it worked much better, as there was only one WD DD, Westan. If you bought a WD in Australia, Westan were the ultimate source, and you could send it to them. But then WD authorised a second DD, Drive Control, who went broke after a year or two, and then replaced Drive Control with Achieva. So now, if you want to RMA a WD drive, you have to work out which DD it came through, or (if it's a Drive Control drive) pay a service fee to Westan or Achieva. I daresay you could send it to WD's factory in South-east Asia instead, but international shipping is a pain.

IBM I don't know about. Agate used to handle them. I don't know what they do now. Easy method is not to buy IBM hard drives.

Samsung I don't know about either: ours all come from Westan, the major Samsung DD. If you have a Samsung drive from another source, I'm not sure what you do. I'd have to check.

TEA your back, havent seen you Post anything for a while :o But if what you say is true then it is because Maxtor really wants to save some cash on their side? but why are they doing it because they are doing just fine the way they are right now.

That's old news and allready seen the real speeds on a 66-100 and 133 Cards. Also Chipset manufacturers have implemented ATA133, so your statement about "ATA133 is not usefull" is false. So explain to me how come i noticed speeds in overroll even when i compared it to a ATA66-100 ? and i dont think you even used this things your self to say it sucks, and i have used/have Western Digital drives and i also have them for other stuff.

Maxtor Storage,

Unless you are pushing 66 MB/s transfer rates while copying files (unless you have a RAID0 setup, that is impossible), there is simply no way there would be any difference between ATA-66 and ATA-133 (even ATA-33 probably wouldn't make any noticeable difference).

Lexu8 is correct. ATA-133, from a performance perspective, is pure marketing hype for non-RAIDed drives. Any improvement in speed is likely due to the fact that your source and destination drives were on different channels in one instance instead of both on the same channel in the other.

Just because chipset manufacturers introduce ATA-133 does not mean it is useful from a performance perspective. ATA-66 and 100 were not useful from a performance perspective when they were introduced, and ATA-66 is only starting to become useful now (in terms of actual bandwidth requirements). "Big drive support" is about the only thing I would get ATA-133 for, but I have no need for such large drives anyways, so why bother... ATA-133's greater bandwidth may become useful in 2-3 years, but many of us will be using sATA by then anyways.

The new Maxtors sound interesting. Let's wait the testbed3 official reviews by SR...

Maxtor Storage,

Unless you are pushing 66 MB/s transfer rates while copying files (unless you have a RAID0 setup, that is impossible), there is simply no way there would be any difference between ATA-66 and ATA-133 (even ATA-33 probably wouldn't make any noticeable difference).

Lexu8 is correct. ATA-133, from a performance perspective, is pure marketing hype for non-RAIDed drives. Any improvement in speed is likely due to the fact that your source and destination drives were on different channels in one instance instead of both on the same channel in the other.

Just because chipset manufacturers introduce ATA-133 does not mean it is useful from a performance perspective. ATA-66 and 100 were not useful from a performance perspective when they were introduced, and ATA-66 is only starting to become useful now (in terms of actual bandwidth requirements). "Big drive support" is about the only thing I would get ATA-133 for, but I have no need for such large drives anyways, so why bother... ATA-133's greater bandwidth may become useful in 2-3 years, but many of us will be using sATA by then anyways.

e_dawg: i notice and get better results from my internal ATA66 channel to the Ultra133 card Plus the Maxtor does quicker responce from the ATA133 card.

Why bother for discussing "WD 8mg buffer or maxtor ata 133"?

Do U think we really care to know which 1 is faster if serial ATA drives re only 3 months/less away from now!

If U can wait for the end of sept for the new maxtor 133 drive, why not wait 2 more months for the new SATA drive.

For me, getting either WD 8mg or maxtor 133 'll be a regretful decision when the new SATA drive came out

MS, it is good that you are getting better performance from the ATA-133 card, but that has nothing to do with any technical superiority of the interface itself. There are other factors that obviously haven't been controlled. For example, drivers and IDE controllers.

As for the Maxtor responding quicker with ATA-133, again, that has nothing to do with the ATA-133 interface itself being superior. It is likely due to Maxtor improving the firmware over time (or even using different components internally).

That last statement is slightly reversed. It should read "It is likely due to Maxtor using different components internally (or even improving the firmware over time)"

The point is that the Maxtor's shorter access time relative to most of its competitors (for example, the ATA-100 WD drives) has nothing to do with it using the ATA-133 interface. If it had an ATA-66 interface, it would seek just as quickly. The interface has no effect on a drive's access time. It is purely based on the mechanical attributes of the drive's actuator and head stack, and the firmware that controls said actuator's seek characteristics. Quite simply, the Maxtor is mechanically superior to the WD. (However, in terms of overall "firmware intelligence", it is not nearly as smart as the WD)

oh i know that the ATA card has nothing to do with it, it just gives the drives more available Bandwith for instance something like RAID, But you see e_dawg, Maxtor might of have inproved the Firmware and components on the D740X for it to reach such low seeking speeds, but why is it that i get better results with the ATA133 Card? Here is what i think and noticed in time. Usually the more bandwith you have the more results of getting high responces from drive to interface can accur, and since my Maxtor is all alone on the ATA Card, it just holds the hole bandwith for it self and right now i am using it on my internal ATA66 and i notice the drive is not as quick as it is in the U133 card, What do i notice? the seeking noise sounds much faster, i get to copy files huge files in less time because i timed it even when i copied huge files to it self, The drive will repond/do stuff much faster when i do multiple stuff at the same time. But you and i know that the Maxtor 740X is not a heavy duty drive, it wins anything that is nominal or mid range tasks, when it comes to heaby duty the Western Digital beats it by huge scores and even the 2MB drives are faster than the maxtor on heavy duty. But pleaze understand e-dawg i am not saying the Maxtor is better because it is not at some points, but i am telling what i felt and saw when i went from 66 to 133, meabe the new stuff on the drive makes it have control of what it can get. oh and meabe if this is done in a fast computer like 1.4Ghz the results are not the same either.