Sign in to follow this  
Chew

Cheetah 15K.3

Just thought I'd be the first to point out the reference to the Cheetah 15K.3 benching in progress reference in the news section. And for those who can't wait for the review, a lot of the results have been added to the database. Looks like Seagate have delivered. No STR results yet though.

Just thought I'd be the first to point out the reference to the Cheetah 15K.3 benching in progress reference in the news section.  And for those who can't wait for the review, a lot of the results have been added to the database.  Looks like Seagate have delivered.  No STR results yet though.

15.3 owns! I'm getting two of those. :)

Leo

I'm a bit disappointed in the performance of these drives under WindowsXP pro, however I understand it's a OS bug and that MS is going to put out a fix in the very near future.

I guess for now I'll have to run this ferrari on a 4lane road untill the super speedway gets built. :)

Yes, there is a huge thread here about the XP problems. I'm going back to 2000 Pro SP 2 today and then when XP gets itself straightened out, I'll put it back on my new 15.3k! :D (They really need a drooling face.. :>)

Yes, there is a huge thread here about the XP problems.  I'm going back to 2000 Pro SP 2 today and then when XP gets itself straightened out, I'll put it back on my new 15.3k!  :D (They really need a drooling face.. :>)

Good Idea.... I'll be doing the same :P

I have a MAJ 10k drive and I'm just waiting for the 15.3.  Not only did the speed specs happen, but check out the noise level - LOWER than the 7200rpm JB drives!

Look at the graph again -- still louder than the WD800JB, but the difference is minute.

It looks like it will be a very impressive drive.

Its numbers clobber the MAM and the X15-36LP!! Plus it's 3db quieter than the X15-36LP and doubles/quadruples the size! :o Looks like Seagate wants to show the competition who's boss of SCSI. :P

So far, the 18 GB 15K.3's SRP is about $50 USD more expensive than the average retail price for the X15-36LP. That should mean that the 15K.3 drives will be selling for about the same price as the X15-36LP is now (although it won't be getting any discounts like the X15-36LP might in the coming months so it will still be more expensive on a comparative basis).

Wow, I'm glad I didn't get the X15-36LP yet. It was basically for financial reasons, but I didn't know the 15K.3 was going to be so quiet, cool-running, and fast at the same time!

I don't think we'll be seeing 15k.3's at $209 for many months to come. Prob around the $250 mark.

I think he's talking about the X15-36LP 36gb version which sells around $350. If the 15.3 comes out at $400 you can sign me up! :D

I'm a bit disappointed in the performance of these drives under WindowsXP pro, however I understand it's a OS bug and that MS is going to put out a fix in the very near future.

I guess for now I'll have to run this ferrari on a 4lane road untill the super speedway gets built. :)

Not sure if you noticed that the testbed used at SR was in fact XP. If you're happy with XP, it may be worth having a good read through the XP SCSI thread to see if any of the suggestions there is the answer for you.

I cannot wait for the writeup on the 15k.3. If it really is quieter than the WD1200JB, that will be completely off the hook. I replaced my two Atlas 10K drives with a WD1200 because I couldn't stand the noise from the Atlas any longer. But, the WD1200 is really amazingly slow by my standards. I would love to get back to SCSI with a fast and quiet 15K disk!

The whole STxxxxxxLW hard drive story is a bit puzzling at best. As you know, there are “currently” three models of the Seagate 15K hard drive:

 ST318452LW – U160, widely available

 ST318432LW – U320, only available at Harddrive.com for $240.00

 ST318453LW – U320 15.3, not available at of this writing.

The drive that Harddrive.com is selling is the “first generation” U320. For this being the case, you will see that the performance specifications is less than acceptable and in many cases, less than the “standard” ST318452LW U160 flavour. The story behind the ST318432LW is that last year, Seagate only released these “first generation” (depop’s) U320 drives to OEM’s. As always, some of these “first generation” drives made it into the retail channel. Hence, Harddrive.com. Because these are “first generation” drives and the fact that the performance is less than stellar for an U320 drive, I recommend that you do not consider these for a purchase. Currently, the ST318453LW 15.3 is slated to be released on 09/01/2002 to OEM’s. However, the ST318453LW is available, but EMC and Compaq have gobbled up all of them. I assume that only the “A” list SCSI resellers may be on the receiving end when this first shipment takes place. If not, expect to see these in quantity in approximately four to six weeks thereafter.

Looks like there is a formatting problem with old PHPbb... I'll try again:

The whole STxxxxxxLW hard drive story is a bit puzzling at best. As you know, there are currently three models of the Seagate 15K hard drive:

ST318452LW; U160, widely available

ST318432LW; only available at Harddrive.com for $240.00

ST318453LW; U320 15.3, not available at of this writing.

The drive that Harddrive.com is selling is the first generation U320. For this being the case, you will see that the performance specifications is less than acceptable and in many cases, less than the standard ST318452LW U160 flavour. The story behind the ST318432LW is that last year, Seagate only released these first generation (depop), U320 drives to OEM's. As always, some of these first generation drives made it into the retail channel. Hence, Harddrive.com. Because these are first generation and the fact that the performance is less than stellar for an U320 drive, I recommend that you do not consider these for a purchase. Currently, the ST318453LW 15.3 is slated to be released on 09/01/2002 to OEM's. However, the ST318453LW is available, but EMC and Compaq have gobbled up all of them. I assume that only the "A" list SCSI resellers may be on the receiving end for a few of these, when this first shipments takes place. If not, expect to see these in quantity in approximately four to six weeks thereafter.

Interesting. This week, Dan and Mike of Hypermicro, stated that they had no idea when they are going to get them in. If they do, they will probably have under twenty or so pieces. All of the X15.3 are currently being shipped to OEM’s. Hypermicro probably will not see any large quantity until late September. This is what Seagate has to say. Either way, I will have two shortly…

dr

I emailed Hypermicro and they told me the first couple weeks in September...  so, not too long to wait.

I've been thinking of getting a new drive for data storage. Although I have 2 X15's now, I had figured going with a 75gig 15K drive was a bit silly just for data storage.

However, with this quiet, cool running beast, I just might have to buy one after all!

Can't wait to see them....