Sign in to follow this  
Chew

Cheetah 15K.3

The numbers are very impressive. But I think it would be wise to wait for the review as the numbers are only part of the picture. For example the noise levels of the first two generations of the X15 were also decent but could not be measured was those irritating Martians.

Anyway I'm very content with my 10K IIIs right now and doubt the actual improvement in performance would be noticeable. I'm pretty tired of trying to stay ahead of the technology advancements anyway.

I think you mean staying with technology advancements. (Unless you have access to R&D at all the companies. :P)

Duh.. yes of course.

Thanks,

Bill

Damn, with all your quick upgrades to the latest Xeons I thought you had connections at Intel. Guess you pay like the rest of us. :(

Damn, with all your quick upgrades to the latest Xeons I thought you had connections at Intel. Guess you pay like the rest of us. :(

I wish! No I'm not going for any new xeons for quite a while yet. I want to wait until upgrading will make a noticeable difference in performance in every day use, not just in benchmarking.

isochar,

I was indeed referring to the 18 GB model being probably $50 more expensive than the X15-36LP. The new 36 GB model I'm guessing will be about $100 more expensive.

In case you missed it, Seagate's SRP for the 15K.3 is as follows ($USD):

Cheetah 15K.3

Model ST373453LC/LW/FC (73GB): $939

Model ST336753LC/LW/FC (36GB): $519

Model ST318453LC/LW/FC (18GB): $289

As usual, "street" prices will be lower. I predict an initial street price of $450 for the 36 GB model, and a 6 month price target of $380. For the 18 GB, I predict $250 initially, and $210 in 6 months.

I predict an initial street price of $450 for the 36 GB model, and a 6 month price target of $380. For the 18 GB, I predict $250 initially, and $210 in 6 months.

Upon further reflection, the 36 GB model will probably drop even further in 6 months... probably $350 by then.

Might as well extrapolate all the way to next year at this time while I'm at it... $300 for the 36 GB model and $180 for the 18 GB one year from today.

There you have it. e_dawg's fearless price predictions. Of course, if you knew how much I lost in the stock market the past year, you would be wise to disregard these... :(

Just one minor detail on those SRP prices from e_dawg. Taken from the press release, it should read:

Pricing and Availability

Suggested Retail Prices (SRP) for single evaluation-units are as follows:

--------

So are the evaluation units priced differently than what finally shows up on the market?