Sign in to follow this  
Maxtor storage

[b]H[/b]ard [b]D[/b]isk [b]D[/b]rive count down!

Well, it's not much, but it's a start:

Maxtor D740X FDB 80 GB

Maxtor D740X FDB 80 GB

IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40 GB

Seagate Barracuda II 20 GB

All are in use except the Cuda2, who has a broken pin (DMA request pin) and is not in use (but still works...).

I bet Tannin has more drives than that...he has quite a collection, especially of older drives.

I bet Tannin has more drives than that...he has quite a collection, especially of older drives.

for real? wow i would like to know what he has, and specially the old drives from back then.

Too many to want to type a list out. But yes, a fair few.

I think this is about the tenth time such a survey has been conducted here at SR.

Here's my running count... It's all in fun... Many of us collect this crap... why not talk about it... I can barely remember what most of my drives are anymore...

New box.... i love this thing...

I'm using it now.

Shuttle SS51G P4 2.8Ghz 1GB DDR 333Mhz Ram

Max. D740X FDB - 80GB

1U Rack experiment box - what a waste. this thing cooks....

2xPIII 1.26Ghz Tuallies 512MB DDR

IBM 120 GXP x 2 RAID 0 - 240GB

Tyan Thunder K7 - Reliable....

My main workstation these days.

Tyan Dual Athlon MP 1.2Ghz

Seagate X15-36LP 36GB

HTPC - PIII 550Mhz 512MB SDRam

The Shuttle will probably replace this.

Maxtor DM40+ x 2 RAID 0 - 80GB

Maxtor DM80

Supermicro P6SBA workstation P3 500 512MB SDRAM

This thing's a little flaky... locks up sometimes...

I used this as a primary workstation for years.

Original Cheetah 4.5GB

Maxtor 11.5GB

ABIT BP6 - Dual 550Mhz Cellies 384MB SDRAM

This is a linux box....

I think this Maxtor is cooked.

Maxtor 20GB

Supermicro P6SDS Dual PII 266Mhz Ram?

IBM 2GB Wide SCSI ?

Laptops...

HP Omnibook 6100 - PIII 1.13Ghz 30GB 512MB Ram

I use this more than anything when I'm home...

Toshiba Tecra 8100 - PIII 650Mhz 12GB, 512MB Ram

My old favorite... the LCD has failed twice under warranty...

Toshiba Portege 3015 PMMX 266Mhz - 4GB

Only 64MB Ram.

Very solid. Still runs perfectly.

Solid magnesium chassis. Gets a little hot though.

Toshiba Libretto 70 PMMX 120Mhz - 1.5GB

Very solid but slow, and only 32MB Ram!

IBM Thinkpad 380D P120Mhz - 1.5GB

Solid, slow. Not much ram 16MB i think.

I think that's close to half a terabyte... I think it's time to setup that eBay account... I was holding off 'cause their privacy policy scares me... yes, I'm paranoid. When it comes to computers, I could be called a packrat... I think I keep it all due to a combination of loving computers, remembering how much I paid for all this crap, and not wanting to get financially mixed up with the strange people who might buy any of this off me, especially 'cause the older stuff could die at any moment.

wow supercaffeinated, you actually paid for that Intel Pentium IV 2.8Ghz or did i hear OverClocking :) , also is that Pentium 4 a road runner or what :twisted: because i plan on getting a 2.4Ghz or the 2.53Ghz which are cheaper than a AMD Athlon XP 2600 Processor.

alpha754293:Well my thread was most likely about how many drives does eveyone have right now, but i do have 150GB of storage Capacity on my computer. oh and another question is that IBM of yours giving any problems ? i quess that if you take care of it wont do bad stuff to you.

Actually, my IBMs have been REALLY nice to me. I love it....it's FAST...hehe....really really fast. And I leave my systems on 24/7 (for the most part) and it's great.

In terms of care of it....as long as you keep the sledgehammer far away from the drive, it'll work fine (at least in theory anyways).

Honestly though, I haven't treated the IBM drives any different then I would any other drive. I don't use it any differently, and just do what I normally do with any other drive.

It's been fine for me.....

Yeah MS, my 2.8Ghz P4 is the real deal. I shelled out the bucks for it. I'm not convinced the faster RAM was worth it with this motherboard though. It's cas2 333Mhz corsair and it cost a pretty penny. 2x512MB was around $330.

There are too many frequencies in this thing... I have no real idea if I've set it up completely right... The settings are "133Mhz" CPU clock... and a "4:5 ratio"... this somehow yields a 166x2 memory clock... then when it boots it says 2.8Ghz ... with a multiplier of 21 and a 133Mhz clock... So where does the 533 FSB come in? I'm so confused.... I ran the MadOnion.com PCMark2002 and I think my numbers sortof suck...

CPU 6616

Memory 4949

Hard Disk 870

There are too many frequencies in this thing... I have no real idea if I've set it up completely right...  The settings are "133Mhz" CPU clock... and a "4:5 ratio"... this somehow yields a 166x2 memory clock... then when it boots it says 2.8Ghz ... with a multiplier of 21 and a 133Mhz clock...  So where does the 533 FSB come in? I'm so confused.... I ran the MadOnion.com PCMark2002 and I think my numbers sortof suck...  

CPU 6616

Memory 4949

Hard Disk 870

Actually, it looks like you have the frequencies set correctly:

166 Memory clock * (4/5) =133 Mhz CPU clock

133 CPU Clock (FSB) X 4 (quad data rate) = 533

I don't have any experience with PCMark so I can't offer an opinion on that...

HTH,

Scott

Forgot to mention that higher memory speeds are especially beneficial to P4s; moreso than Athlons. I too would have spent the $$ for the 166 memory.

Scott

Thanks for the info sd. That makes me feel better. MadOnion.com offers a comparison service and I guess most of the people I was comparing myself to are running overclocked systems with really high fsb settings which push their memory results over the top.

1 x Seagate ST225 - still works but I have to swap out the pr0n pictures.

Yes, I do have more but it'll be easier to remember what they are after the Port wears off.

alpha754293:Well my thread was most likely about how many drives does eveyone have right now, but i do have 150GB of storage Capacity on my computer. oh and another question is that IBM of yours giving any problems ? i quess that if you take care of it wont do bad stuff to you.

Actually, my IBMs have been REALLY nice to me. I love it....it's FAST...hehe....really really fast. And I leave my systems on 24/7 (for the most part) and it's great.

In terms of care of it....as long as you keep the sledgehammer far away from the drive, it'll work fine (at least in theory anyways).

Honestly though, I haven't treated the IBM drives any different then I would any other drive. I don't use it any differently, and just do what I normally do with any other drive.

It's been fine for me.....

I know right? if you threat your Hard drives with care, and that means

Not unpluging the power while they are working

Not hitting the computer while the HDD is doing something

Have a good fan to just keep them cool to the touch

Shutting Windows/computer the right way

then the HDD should repond to what you do to them. None of my drives have failed and i have drives that are like almost 10 years old or more.

Not hitting the computer while the HDD is doing something

That phrase brought fond memory of one of the 5GB Maxtor drives I owned. At some moment it just stopped spinning - just produced click when turning on the power. After everything else failed, I actually delivered a punch to the side of the drive right after turning computer on and it worked. Even more, it worked consistently about 5 times before I tired of doing that. :D Of course, it was RMAed and replaced (18 months after I bought it - speaking of new 1 year warranty here) but it will not be forgotten :).

Yeah this actually has to do with the platters, i have a Quatum 80MB and it will spin but heads will not move at all so it will spin down and try again for the second time, so i opened the drive and when it did full RPM i moved the read/write heads and it lives!!! So most likely it had to do with the contact to the platters.