Sign in to follow this  
ad-lib

IBM 75GXP Drive Fitness Test Failure - what now?

I have two 15GB drives of this type in the machine. They've run fine, daily use since I got them in October 2000. I've run the IBM DFT before with no problems reported. But this last week I had a couple of machine lockups where I could hear 4 repeated seeking sounds, pause, 4 more seeking sounds etc. ...until I rebooted. So I ran the DFT today, and one of the drives (think it's my C: drive) failed the test. The other drive still checks out fine.

Here's what the DFT report says:

IBM-DTLA-307015

One or more bad sectors found. You should erase the drive to fix. (No chance!!)

Failure code 0x70

Additional 0x77

TRC (Technical Result Code) for RMA: 70773DCD

- Is this fatal? (The drive is still operational, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this now)

- How long is the warantee on this drive? (Bought it October 2000)

- How do I run a surface scan in Windows 2000? (Doesn't seem to have the option in Tools->Scandisk and an ordinary scan reports no problems)

1.5 years seems a bit of a short lifespan for a drive - in 10 years this is the first drive I've had fail on me.

Many people say they never have porblems with GXP75 but in the end they learn that within 4 years they WILL fail.

Anyway the drive doesnt get any better I found that it will bet worse so backup your stuff FAST and ditch that drive its going to die.

Thanks for the advice. I've shifted my email storage folder across to the other drive now - fortunately it's mostly software on my C: drive so there's not too much precious data to shift (I know, I'm bound to have missed something :? ).

- Is there any way to move the 'Documents and Settings' folder to a different drive? Then when I get a new drive and reinstall the OS and everything I could get all my settings and favourites etc. back just by pointing to it...?

- Does Windows 2000 have a drive surface scan feature? (I'm sure Windows'95 did and I'd like it to flag the bad sectors as 'don't use')

Thanks for the advice.  I've shifted my email storage folder across to the other drive now - fortunately it's mostly software on my C: drive so there's not too much precious data to shift (I know, I'm bound to have missed something  :? ).

- Is there any way to move the 'Documents and Settings' folder to a different drive?  Then when I get a new drive and reinstall the OS and everything I could get all my settings and favourites etc. back just by pointing to it...?

- Does Windows 2000 have a drive surface scan feature?  (I'm sure Windows'95 did and I'd like it to flag the bad sectors as 'don't use')

If the drive is formatted as FAT or FAT32, then you can boot off of a Win98se boot disk, and run scandisk (and do the surface scan), and it will record the bad sectors in the FAT table info, which W2K will subsequently use. For NTFS, I have no idea how it deals with bad sectors, although I assume that it will somehow.

Thanks Virtual Larry. I gave it a try with Win'95 - but got fed up after the 200th - "This file name is longer than 66 characters and not compatible with MSDOS" message. I never got to the surface scan! Wonder why Windows 2000 doesn't have one? ...seems a bit remiss.

Think I'm going to replace the faulty drive with a Seagate Barracuda IV - it should give at least equal performance to my 75GXP, and the sustained transfer rates look great for video work. Unless anyone knows of a drive that runs *quieter* and *cooler* than the Barracuda.

What's the maximum partition size for a FAT32 formatted drive? Something in the back of my mind is saying 32GB - in which case getting a 40GB drive would not be ideal ...so maybe I'll get a 60GB drive and split it into 2X 30GB partitions.

Here's my plan then:

My Abit KT7-RAID motherboard has IDE channels 1 & 2 and also HPT (ATA 100) channels 1 & 2 currently set up like this:

HPT 1 - 15GB 75GXP boot drive (C:) faulty [master]

HPT 2 - 15GB 75GXP data drive (D:) working [master]

IDE 1 - DVD ROM drive [master]

IDE 2 - CDRW drive [master]

1 - Buy Seagate 60GB, connect as slave to IDE channel 1, format 2X 30GB FAT32 partitions

2 - Copy all data off my working 15GB D: drive (75GXP) currently master on HPT channel 2 onto the Seagate

3 - Erase drive D: (working 75GXP)

4 - Rip out faulty C: drive (75GXP) currently master on HPT channel 1

5 - Move drive D: to master on HPT channel 1 - hopefully this will make it C: - and reinstall Windows 2000 Pro on it

6 - Finally move the Seagate from slave IDE 1 to HPT channel 2 - hopefully this will make it D:

So I should end up with:

C: (working 15GB 75GXP) boot drive master on HPT 1

D: (new 60GB Seagate) data drive master on HPT 2

+ One faulty 15GB 75GXP destined for the round filing cabinet in the corner.

Do you think it'll work?

The drive warantee is 3 years - so it's still covered. Unfortunately IBM say I have to post it to Holland (!!!) at my expense - ouch ...maybe it'll be cheaper to buy a new hard drive instead? ...maybe that's what they're hoping! :(