Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

WinXP and FAT32

I just tried to create an 80GB partition in XP using FAT32, but the built-in disk formatting would only allow me to select NTFS.

I tried Partition Magic Pro 7 and it, too, would not let me format the partition as FAT32. I deleted the partition and created it anew with PMP7 but I couldn't seem to get it to allow a FAT32 format. Is it because FAT32 doesn't support a partition as big as 80GB or is it an XP hangup or what?

Piyono

Windows XP will not let you create a FAT32 parititon bigger than 40? GB. Partition magic should be able to do it. If you are running it within windows XP, that may be your problem. Make the 2 dos diskettes for Partition magic and they will be able to make the partition for you.

It's Microsoft's way of trying to get people to use NTFS. XP won't let you format a FAT32 partition over 32GB. It's a limitation of XP and not of FAT32. It you have a Win98 boot disk around, that'll work.

Steve

"FAT32 supports drives up to 2 terabytes in size" - Mircosoft Knowledge Database..

If u have a windows 98 Bootdisk, boot your computer up with it, then create a new primary 80Gb partition using fdisk...

When u start winXP installation, u can just select the partition to install it to...

unless ur using a dual boot system though (win 9x) id suggest that u format in NTFS rather than Fat32

Microsoft is trying to kill FAT32. I find that things work better with NTFS anyhow, and would recoment useing it...I think win xp will only allow 10 or 20 GB disks to be FAT 32...

I use NTFS for my XP and 2000 system disks, but I like keeping my data on FAT32 partitions for the format's wider user base, in case I have to pop my disk into another computer, which happens quite often.

Piyono

You could use a win98 boot disk and format the hard drive that way.

In case you dont have one, check out:

www.bootdisk.com

I use the win98SE disk that they have, and it works great...