Sign in to follow this  
lexu8

OT: Please Commend On This ABIT IT7 MB.

Hello,Everyone :)

I'm thinking about put together a P-IV's system with This ABIT IT7-Max Motherboard. Can anyone tell me if this is good choice or ? :?:

I'm planing to run about 1TB+ HDD (Just IDE not Raid) so I thought this may be the board I need. I don't know much about ABIT so Please commend. Anyone out there using it right now? is it good? Bad? or OK? 8)

Looking forward to hear any commends from all. Please Help.

Regards,

Lexu8

Occupant,

Thank you for the note. What kind of problem(s) with ABITs? How does ABITs compare to, Say.. ASUS or Intel ? I saw the puctures of it and look very promissing with 4 extra ATA-100 slots,total of 6 slots :!:

I thought it might be a good choice to hook-up lots of HDDs without have to buy ad-on IDE card. But as I mentions,I do not know much about ABITs. :roll:

By the way, I've got a 2.4GHz/533 P-IV B that I was going to use with the ABIT IT7-Max! Now I'm not so sure If I'm gonna buy the IT7-Max after all. :evil: That is why I'm asking for some feed back from the IT7-Max's users if this is a good board or No? :?:

Regards,

Lexu8

I actually am typing this on an IT7, my first Abit board - and I'm someone who said they would NEVER buy an Abit (I like typically reliable brands, like Tyan and Asus usually...).

The short of it - I really like it, and the embedded RAID controller works GREAT as a plain old IDE controller for your disks. It has been stable, it can be overclocked VERY well should you desire, and the feature set is the best of all the single CPU boards that I have seen.

It appears to be of high build quality, even down to the capacitors. It came with a useful software bundle, including Norton AV and Hardware Doctor. It has a three phase power supply. It has Firewire. It has a GREAT bios that allows you to lock the PCI/AGP dividers when adjusting the FSB to overclock. I mean, it really doesn't omit anything.

One caveat - there is a NEW IT7 MAX2 coming out, that adds Serial ATA support for the 2 Southbridge IDE channels (but not the RAID controller), and adds back in PS2 keyboard and mouse support. Apparently the "USB do or die" push has been delayed. There may even be deals on the older one when the MAX2s come out. I bought mine at NewEgg, and suggest you start there...

Future Shock

bd7-ii is still $35 cheaper...

Yeah, but if you want to hook up a lot of disks, the extra 2 RAID channels are worth the difference...especially if you need the Firewire support. Overall, the IT7 is a very modern board design, while the BD7 is a touch older - but still a great option if you don't need/want the goodies the IT7 throws in. There are rumors that the BD7 may indeed overclock faster, by a very slight amount, but that could just be sample variations in the processors as well...

FS

Future Shock,

Thank you so much for the tip. That what I'd like to hear,the ABIT IT7-Max is good and stable! So if you do not have any problems with it and it seems the build quality is high,I'd like to try it out. :lol:

I like the idea that ABITs offer so much for so little compare to ASUSs,the only Motherboard I know off that offer 4 extra IDE Raid slots. As of now I do not plan to do the RAID set up just to get a rock solid stable for my 4 WD1200BB, 4 WD1200JB, 1 WD800JB and 1 IBM 120GXP 80GB. Just about 1TB+ after formatted. 8)

Is there any others that using the ABIT IT7s out there that have Good or Bad time with this board? Please Help! If it all sound good then I'll order one tomorrow or next day. :wink:

Regards,

Lexu8

Ps, as for the new IT7-Max2... That's a very nice board indeed but it lack of 4 extra IDE Raid connectors so that won't fit my needs.

You're welcome! :) Glad to help.

You may wish to take a look here , however, and check the RAID specs on the IT7-MAX2. From how I read it, it comes with the same 4 channel RAID controller as the IT7. What I was refering to in my post was that the 2 IDE channels provided by the 845E chipset will also have serial ATA connectors, although the Highpoint controller will still be using standard ATA for it's 4 channels. Check out the connector specs in the link above to verify it.

Good Luck with the build!

Future Shock

Humm, from the experience I got from my KT7A, i think abit is not that bad. But not that good either. The board seemed very picky on memory support. If you buy this board, buy high quality brand name memory. Other than that, and many traditionnal KT133A bugs, the board worked fine.

The main problem I have with abit is that because they always use revolutionnairy designs, hardware support is more limited. The KT7A for example is the only KT133A board who did not support Athlon XP, unless you bought a recent revision.

I'd suggest that you buy a good solid Intel board. If you don't want trouble, that's the way to go. But, if you feel more adventurous, and want a board with lots of features, the IT7 seems like a very good choice.

Occupant,

Thank you for the note. What kind of problem(s) with ABITs? How does ABITs compare to, Say.. ASUS or Intel ? I saw the puctures of it and look very promissing with 4 extra ATA-100 slots,total of 6 slots :!: 

I thought it might be a good choice to hook-up lots of HDDs without have to buy ad-on IDE card. But as I mentions,I do not know much about ABITs.  :roll: 

By the way, I've got a 2.4GHz/533 P-IV B that I was going to use with the ABIT IT7-Max! Now I'm not so sure If I'm gonna buy the IT7-Max after all.  :evil:  That is why I'm asking for some feed back from the IT7-Max's users if this is a good board or No?  :?:   

Regards,

Lexu8

Before I started working at my company, we apparently had a lot of trouble with ABit boards failing. (Ive seen 3 come in with 15 to 17 capacitors ruptured on the main board) Apparently we got burned pretty good, and the boss flattly refuses to bring in anything with an ABit logo on it....

Intel is the best motherboard maker in the world.... The quality of the product, the excelence of the service, are all very good reasons to buy intel, they however, are marketed for biz, and dont have very many (if any) features for over clocking... We find that Gigabyte, AOpen, Biostar, MSI all make excellent products for home pc's....

I certainly won't debate the point about Intel being the highest quality mobo in the world. They HAVE to be, their brand image is too important.

However, in terms of "best mobo in the world," there are other factors that come into play, such as feature set, performance, support, etc. Intel does very well with support and service, but rather poorly on feature sets and performance. Let's face it, Intel boards don't OC at all, and usually perform behind the pack when clocked normally in benchmarks. They don't have RAID on consumer boards. They don't have Firewire. They don't have advanced hardware monitoring, like a Winbond chip. They come with small software bundles. They are certainly not cheap.

But they are built the best, and have the most conservative timings and broadest array of compatibilities with memory and other componenets.

What is "best" is where a specific user's requirements lie within a multi-dimensional space of quality, features, peformance, and cost...for someone needing to attach a very large number of drives and not wanting to pay extra for a controller, a board with an embedded RAID controller may be worth a slight sacrifice of build quality, especially if it OCs well. It was for me, at any rate...but everyone's MMV.

Future Shock

Thank you, Occupant 2, Future Shock for your feedbacks. :) You're both have got your points and I appreciated very much for taking time to point out the good and bad about this board.

I agreed that ABITs got some quations about their build quality compare to Intel or ASUS. But,is there any other board out there right now that come with 4 extra ATA-100 IDE Slots? :?: I'm willing to listen.

I can only found this,the IT7-Max that have what I think will help since it got 4 extra IDE Raid on board plus 2 standard IDEs! That would take up to 10 HDD plus another IDE 1 2 Chanels for CD-RW and DVD Rom/DVD-RW. 8)

I do not like add-on IDE Controlers so if I don't have to use them that will be my preference. Again, if I have to and do not have any other choice then I'll look into that matter.

I was going to order the IT7-Max from newegg.com today but I'd like to hear alittle more from the users if this board will be a wise choice :?:

No,I'm not gonna OC it just want to build a media center for all the DVDs ripping,Movies,Music,Family photos-Video,Karaoke,LP/Singles collections from 60'70'80' etc etc.

Any other IT7-Max's user ? Please post your commend. :?:

Regards,

Lexu8