Sign in to follow this  
teflon

120 gxp story (rambling, sort of)

I bought two IBM 80 gig 120 GXP three months ago, they have been residing in the same casing, with the same PSU and same cables etc. since then. A couple of weeks ago one disk, the one who'd been playing as my D: began making this constant higher pitched noise, all of a sudden.. it was really, really loud. I could hear it in another room with the TV on.. I disconnected the drives one by one, to pinpoint it. I know it's this drive. My case temperature should be fine, I've got two Zalman fans blowing air in and two blowing air out at the top of the case which happens to be a Chieftec Dragon fulltower (not that it should matter much perhaps).

Now, I thought, what the heck, I'll take this disk back to the store to get a new one, since it's still on warranty and I'd rather not wait until the day it won't work anymore. I thought wrong. They tested it for an hour or so using a custom IBM program, came out to me and asked "What sort of IDE cables are you using? You're not using older ones with only 40 conductors, right?" "No, I'm using cables I hope are suitable for this disk, with 80 conductors." He looked at me, said "Uh-huh. OK, are you sure about that?" and I said something like, "Look, I don't think there's anything wrong with my setup, I do think the drive is beginning to fail, can I just please have it exchanged?".. they would not comply. :roll:

They said that they would run an excessive test during the night and call me back in the morning.. When they called me, they said "OK, it ran the test for 34 times, did not find anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with the drive. It will probably still work if you use it for another year, no problem.".. Heh, can I get that in writing? :twisted:

Gah.. So, yesterday, when I was playing Dark Age of Camelot, one disk made a strange noise, like it found a bad sector.. However, it was just that one time, and I cannot be 100% certain it was the drive I've been talking about.. although it seems logical. Now, I'd like for someone to make a qualified guess: Is my drive faulty, and should my store take it back? Anyone with experience in this area? :?:

I would agree with you that your drive is about to fail. It is unfortunate that the store you bought it from won't take it back however. I think you should get your data off of the drive as soon as possible. Other than that, I think your only option is to wait for the drive to fail.

Could it be somthing to do with the glass platers unblanced and causing this noise ?

Unlikely. If the disks are that far out of balance, the drive wouldn't be able to work.

What's more likely is the drive is starting to suffer a headcrash. This will sound like either a loud scraping noise (imagine dragging something against a sheet of sandpaper). Also, it's possible the bearings are damaged, but that usually will only happen after some type of shock event, and a pretty strong one at that.

A couple of weeks ago one disk, the one who'd been playing as my D:  began making this constant higher pitched noise, all of a sudden.. it was really, really loud. I could hear it in another room with the TV on..

Have you tried calling IBM tech support? Every time I've called them about an IBM drive that did this, they've responded by telling me to RMA the drive.

OMG, i had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my 120gxp (80gig) after 1 month and a week or so of operation.

I was in the middle of using the drive and it starteed making this very loud whining noise (similar to 15,000rpm cheetah or something)

I immediately backed up my info, I ran the Drive fitness test, no problem... checked mounting... tried cold booting a few times... the noise was here to stay...

So, I called IBM tech supp. I told them that i was concerned the drive would fail... they agreed... I sent the drive back to them and they sent me a new one in under 2 weeks.

They asked me if I had checked PWR/IDE cable connections, if I had it mouted securely with 4 screws, is the drive vibrating, and had I ran the Drive fitness test.

I answered yes to all the questions... i am not sure if the drive always vibrated(i dont think it used to) but at the time i called IBM it did seem to be vibrating a bit more than my other 2 ibm 75gxp's combined.... so I mentioned it to the tech.

The drive was mounted in a 5.25 inch bay and had plenty of air flow, it was well within the normal temperatures for the drive. The new drive does not vibrate (using the same mountings as the old drive)... I'm not really sure why the drive started doing this... seems to just be a bad drive.

I would suggest calling IBM and RMA'ing it back.. I had a pleasant experience with it all and hope the same to you

Gah.. So, yesterday, when I was playing Dark Age of Camelot, one disk made a strange noise, like it found a bad sector.. However, it was just that one time, and I cannot be 100% certain it was the drive I've been talking about.. although it seems logical.  Now, I'd like for someone to make a qualified guess: Is my drive faulty, and should my store take it back? Anyone with experience in this area?  :?:

Okay, so now I'd take the whole machine in and say 'It's still doing it, and I brought my machine in to prove it'.

Heh, Teflon that is spooky.

You notice I have also have a post regarding the 120GXP (the 60GB version). Mine also started with the really loud high-pitched whine out of nowhere and now does it constantly. It started when I was playing Dark Age of Camelot too :)

I wouldnt blame the store you bought it from too much... Trying to get IBM to RMA a EIDE hard drive is very difficult... Ive never been able to do it in under 45 mins of tellephone time.... If the little test program doesnt give an error code... basicly they (IBM) wont give an RMA so the store would be stuck with the exchanged unit...

Also IBM's service (for lack of a better word) sucks... With maxtor I can call and get an advanced RMA and have the drive in 3-5 days (the used to do it overnight sometimes), but with IBM you have to send the drive in, and then they'll send you a replacement... Ive never seen them replace a drive in under 3 weeks...

i suggest you do what i do.

go online, fill out the RMA form, send the drive off then while its away buy a maxtor or westerndigital.

when my 60gxp went away it languished at singapore for a month and a week before i finally lost my temper and sent a very pointed email to them. lo and behold, a couple of days later they "suddenly" had stock of replacment 60gxp's and i got as quickly as it could be shipped to me (from the time i sent my email)

course now i dont trust 60gxp's at all, and the replacment drive sits on a shelf gathering dust. Besides, with my 80Gb maxtor and 80Gb W.D.JB drive i have all the capacity i need. reliable capacity too i might add.

Just out of intrest i ran a few checks on the refurbished 60gxp. according to HDtach, transfer rates are crappy as, hundreds upon hundreds of downspikes. sure sign of LOTS of remapped bad sectors.

course now i dont trust 60gxp's at all, and the replacment drive sits on a shelf gathering dust.  Besides, with my 80Gb maxtor and 80Gb W.D.JB drive i have all the capacity i need. reliable capacity too i might add.

Just out of intrest i ran a few checks on the refurbished 60gxp. according to HDtach, transfer rates are crappy as, hundreds upon hundreds of downspikes. sure sign of LOTS of remapped bad sectors.

Ugh, it's stories like that that make me want to not RMA my partially-failed 30GB 75GXP drive. Only one remapped user sector that totally failed so far, but the problem with mine is that one of the reserved-area sectors went, one of the ones used to keep track of remapped user sectors in fact! I'm using it right now for non-critical files (temp CD images, etc). I'm torn between RMA'ing it and getting another drive that is in worse shape, actually, or just using it for now and praying that it won't get too much worse, and that most of the user sectors will continue to be alright. (Some did have temporary problems reading, but were fine after a couple of re-reads, and I think the problem was due to HD/case temps being too high. When the system is cooler, I don't have those problems, although the error in the reserved sectors is still there.)

Would it be unethical to sell the drive as-is, right now, without RMA'ing it, and mentioning it's current history?

hahaha. depends if you hate the person you're selling it to :D

my drive didnt actually die in the technical sense. it still ran day to day...

but having to DFT & reformat every couple of months didnt appeal to me.

RMA your drive and buy a better one. Sell the refurb whenever it gets back with a clear concience (plus renewed warantee) as you can rightly claim you have never used THAT drive.

if you feel evil, scratch off the refurb sticker ;)