Sign in to follow this  
Shark

160GB Windows 2000

I've searched the forums and found some info about this problem...

The issue is that even after getting a proper BIOS to support the 160GB Maxtor, installing Win2K is a problem... It doesn't allow for a full 160GB partition out of the box...

Apparently, you can install Win2K and then apply the updates, and then be able to format the drive to it's full capacity.

So it's a catch 22... I have to install Win2K before I can format the drive properly, but formatting the drive removes Win2K...

Has anyone found a way to install Win2K on a 160GB boot drive using just 1 drive?

My specific application here is one of those Shuttle SV24 mini systems--there's no room for a second drive!

One idea I've come up with is to format the drive on another system, and then see if Windows 2000 will install on that partition?

The other idea is using Norton Ghost to make an image file, then restoring the image to a full sized partition?

Am I missing something (like this has been solved already, and hopefully it's just a simple oversight on my part)....

You could use Partion Magic to enlarge the partition after the OS installation. PM will run from a floppy or bootable CD, so there is no need to install it.

I have only used PM with FAT32 and Win 9x...

Just dug out my old PM disk... I have version 4.0, so I'm not sure how well it would work?

I suppose I could just make an image with Ghost, then try the PM and see if it works... If not, restore the Ghost image.

Still, there needs to be some way for folks with 1 drive and no 3rd party software to properly install Windows on their hard drive. :x

Install your OS, make an image of it and then restore the image. Either Ghost or Drive Image will give you the option of changing partition sizes when restoring. (like you said yourself). It's probably faster than using partition magic.

Still, why would you want an freaking 160 GB partition for your OS?

It's not for me, it's for a client... They are using the SV24 as a multimedia station, and wanted the whole thing on one partition... Had it been mine, I probably would have done like a 10GB OS partition and then the rest as a media partition.

It's not for me, it's for a client... They are using the SV24 as a multimedia station, and wanted the whole thing on one partition... Had it been mine, I probably would have done like a 10GB OS partition and then the rest as a media partition.

Then tell them they're being really, REALLY dumb. If the OS goes bad on them, it'll be a lot easier to reinstall on a separate partition.

Win2K would go on a small drive and the second drive would be used for whatever...

Like I said... The SV24 has no room for a second drive. It's a little tiny PC.

I know at the very least you'll need a newer version of Partition Magic as I believe older ones had a 128GB partition limit or something like that. Also, does PM 4 support NTFS? I'm not sure.

Two partitions ::::would:::: be a heck of a lot easier........damn shame.

-Chris

I know at the very least you'll need a newer version of Partition Magic as I believe older ones had a 128GB partition limit or something like that. Also, does PM 4 support NTFS? I'm not sure.

Two partitions ::::would:::: be a heck of a lot easier........damn shame.

Well, the power supply died on the machine, and I've got it back in for service...

Maybe I will just fix this issue for the guy (originally he had ordered the system put together but with no OS). The only problem is that I won't get paid for it...