Sign in to follow this  
Guard65

New Box & New Drives

Currently I have been looking at building a new ripping box for my growing movie collection. I am looking ether a P4 2.26GHz/Asus P4B533-v/Mushkin512mbDDR-PC2700 or an AMD 2.2GHz/Asus A7V333/Mushkin512mbDDR-PC2700. The answer is still up in the air. However am going to be using three of the WD80GB7.2Krpm Drives on the Adaptec2400Raid Card. I am still not sure If I need the raid at this point seeing how my ripping is totally CPU to Memory War! If anyone has any suggestion I would like some input!!!

Thanks,

Guard65

8O

Yeh you are correct. Just a type error. however if you have any suggestions. Or if someone else that does DVD Ripping to AVI or VCD please give me some tips on hardware.

:roll:

Yeah I was watching shop @ home and they had a tiger max that had a AMD Athlon XP 2200+. Is that the fastest processor that you can buy. I know they make a 4.1GHz processor. I seen it on shop @ home, also. Now do you have to run Windows XP on those mobos with the Athlon XP processors? :twisted:

<<-- wonders what dimension Xtacy is in? and if he can buy me a 4.1GHz processor? :P

Yeah I was watching shop @ home and they had a tiger max that had a AMD Athlon XP 2200+.  Is that the fastest processor that you can buy.  I know they make a 4.1GHz processor.  I seen it on shop @ home, also.  Now do you have to run Windows XP on those mobos with the Athlon XP processors?  :twisted:

No you don't have to run winXP on an AthlonXP. Any x86 compatible OS will run just fine. I would recommend win2k.

Yeah I was watching shop @ home and they had a tiger max that had a AMD Athlon XP 2200+.  Is that the fastest processor that you can buy.  I know they make a 4.1GHz processor.  I seen it on shop @ home, also.  Now do you have to run Windows XP on those mobos with the Athlon XP processors?  :twisted:

Are you sure that 4.1GHz isn't some kind of reference to wireless LAN or whatever?

Ripping is the process of getting the data from the CD/DVD onto the hard disk. This is more a factor of DVD drive speed. What you are thinking of is encoding. Dual Athlons work well for that.

alternatively the 4.2Ghz could be refering to a dual cpu system (dual 2.1Ghz), though they aren't the sorts of things you find online.

As far as a ripping system........just get the fastest CPU's you can find. Fast disk's aren't really required......or even all that much capacity if you intend to burn the movies to cd. A high speed DVD-ROM is nice because it'll cut down on the time to get the movies onto disk for encoding.

Offhand I don't think the more popular divx apps are multi-threaded.....though a second cpu could keep the system peppy during encoding, or even be used to encode two movies at once.

I ::::believe:::: the P4's had an edge on the athlons in encoding speed, but it's been a while since I've looked into it.

-Chris

Ripping is the process of getting the data from the CD/DVD onto the hard disk. This is more a factor of DVD drive speed.  What you are thinking of is encoding. Dual Athlons work well for that.

Well I assume that if you want a movie collection you are talking about taking dvd's and encoding them in another format.

I haven't gotten a chance to test this out, but a Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz with HyperThreading enabled might help.

Tried, tested and true: Dual AMD Athlon MP/XP. (Depending on the board you get). It'll eat the CPU power like crazy. That's also assuming that you're going to be using FlaskMPEG 0.594 or 0.6 or XMpeg 4.5 with DivX 3.11 alpha. DivX 4 is alright, DivX 5 Pro isn't terribly great at processing movies. Plus it's slow.

I've never had much luck trying to rip the DVD straight from the disk with a single AMD Athlon 1.33@1.46. I'd leave it run all night long and after about....anywhere between 7 to 11 hours later, the thing would stall and freeze and stop and it wouldn't write anymore. Maybe it's because of the AVI 4 GB FAT32 limitation. I don't know. But I've been able to compress the same movie, using the same settings down to 1 GB so I don't know what the problem is with it.

But definitely, if you're going to be doing a lot of DVD ripping, fastest processor you can afford, and make that two of them, cuz you'll need every little bit of it.

(4.2 GHz system....wow......lay off the crack man!!! lol....unless it's a dual 2.1 which...if you DO find a processor that's actually 2.1 GHz, let me know..cuz...as far as I know..there aren't any at that clock speed). In any case, I think that the only way to get it up to that speed is if you REALLY know what you're doing or you're using some kind of LN2/Freon/high tech water cooling system).

Anyways, besides that, P4s do seem to be ripping faster now, but obviously from a price/performance perspective....it probably can't be beat. (well..maybe it can by now.) For a LONG while..it couldn't though.

In any case, you don't really need to have a fast drive, large capacity, yes, fast...no. If you intend on ripping the source to the hard drive FIRST and and compressing it off the hard drive that's also possible. I know that Xmpeg 4.5 can read the IFO and pick up the individual VOB files and compressing it as a whole, but as I've said before, I've had a hard time trying to get that to work the way it's supposed to.

If you want some DVD ripping tools, I've already got some stored up that I used before and that I know works. If you want, just give me a shout, email me at alpha754293@hotmail.com and I'll see if I can put them up on my server so that you can grab them.