Sign in to follow this  
lexu8

Performance On WDC WD800JB On Raid 0+1 Too Slow??? Help!

Just Bought 4 WD800JBs Fron Newegg.com Last week in Hope for a super high Performance but,Why they're so slow even on Raid 0 Set up?? Tried with all difference blocks side and firmwares.

My Old,Last Raid were Promise Tx2 RAID 0+1 Set up with 4 40 GB IBM 60GXP On ASUS TUSL2/ 1011 Bios,P-III 1.26GHz/512Cache/512MB Muskin Ref.2,Windows XP Pro. etc. Everything was working well and fast,No Problems what so ever! Untill I heard and read about some not too good news on IBMs so I thought it time to get a newer,better and faster HDs! To my surprise,they're not what I expected! These HDs are so slow and much,much slower that standard IDE none RAID IBM HDs! What's going on ? Or ? Please Help! Should I just go back to IBMs and return these High Performance WD800JBs???

This is my first post on SR and hope to get some good advices and tips! Please Help!

Lexu8

I forgot to Mention that my new set up are as the same as Old set up except for all new 4 WD800JBs instead of 4 40GB 60GXP.

Lexu8

The Western Digital JB shouldn't MUCH slower than the IBM, but they shouldn't be faster either. IBM Deathstar, although not really famous for their reliability, are probably the fastest performers in RAID arrays among IDE hard drives.

The 8Mb cache of the Special Edition Caviar isn't of any help for RAID performances BTW. You would have had the same result with the cheaper 2Mb cache WDxxxxBB. I'm sorry to tell you that you've wasted your money. It's almost not funny to read.

IMO, you should either use them as individual drives or simply sell all four of them and buy the (very inexpensive these days) 80Gb IBM Deskstar 120GXP instead. You RAID array would be faster and you would save a some $$$. Plus, so far, the 120GXP doesn't seem to be plaggued with reliability issues like the two previous Deskstar generations.

Coug Tech,

Thank you for your replied, What you're saying is that the WD800JB With 8MB Cache Buffer and cost more won't gian any performance over the cheaper models one? I thought I was going to improve my system by going with the WD800JB ?

So then, are these 40GB 60GXPs going to holp up? They're very fast on RAID 0+1,Well much faster than 800JBs plus They're running 24/7 since December 2001 untill last week when I received those 4 WD800JBs from Neweeg.com!

Should I return these 4 800JB and get IBMs or ? ($114.00 shipped VS $91.00 for 80GB 120GXP @newegg.com!) Or should I just put the Old 40GB 60GXPs back on and sell the 800JBs?

Thanks

Lexu8

What benchmarking tool are you using to determine the speed of the new drives?

Also, I don't believe Promise cards were very highly regarded for IDE RAID. Adaptec's 2400a and 3Ware's 7450 or 7850 are much better performers. The Adaptec supports up to 128 MB of PC133 ECC Unbuffered CAS 2 cache memory (which you can buy for $60), and the card itself costs appx $300.

So then, are these 40GB 60GXPs going to holp up? They're very fast on RAID 0+1, (...) Should I return these 4 800JB and get IBMs or ? ($114.00 shipped VS $91.00 for 80GB 120GXP @newegg.com!) Or should I just put the Old 40GB 60GXPs back on and sell the 800JBs?

Are the 60GXP fast enough for your needs? If yes, then you have no reason to upgrade, at least as long as they don't fail. The 8Mb cache of the JB helps when the drive are used as single drives, not in a RAID array.

Also, I don't believe Promise cards were very highly regarded for IDE RAID. Adaptec's 2400a and 3Ware's 7450 or 7850 are much better performers. The Adaptec supports up to 128 MB of PC133 ECC Unbuffered CAS 2 cache memory (which you can buy for $60), and the card itself costs appx $300.

If he plans to use RAID 10, then the additional amount of cache won't be very helpful (and be a waste).

So then, are these 40GB 60GXPs going to holp up? They're very fast on RAID 0+1, (...) Should I return these 4 800JB and get IBMs or ? ($114.00 shipped VS $91.00 for 80GB 120GXP @newegg.com!) Or should I just put the Old 40GB 60GXPs back on and sell the 800JBs?

Are the 60GXP fast enough for your needs? If yes, then you have no reason to upgrade, at least as long as they don't fail. The 8Mb cache of the JB helps when the drive are used as single drives, not in a RAID array.

If he plans to use RAID 10, then the additional amount of cache won't be very helpful (and be a waste).

That would depend on how well-written the driver is, I would think.

Any cache memory should improve write performance if, when doing writes, if it is used as write-back cache, and additional read-ahead cache can never hurt things, if used properly.

In addition, write-back cache can help boost overall write performance because it gives the hardware the chance to write data to the disk in the most efficient manner, as opposed to writing data to the disk in FIFO fashion.

Thank you guys for your inputs! The only reason I bought those 4 WD800JBs is that because of my HDs in my system are all IBMs and after I read lots of reports and commended,I'm now concern about the durability of these 60GXPs since my system is on 24/7 :roll:

I only needs 2 chanels IDE Raid card so those 3Ware 7400 &7500 series are a little too much and too expensive. I set up my system as Raid 0+1 so I can get speed plus monitoring just incase my system going south on me. I know the WD800JB are a little more than I need, 160GB is HUGH!(320GB total) I don't think I gonna fill them up anytime soon. Now Anyone know how to get these WD800JB to speed up on RAID? Any tips on firmwares or softwares that I may need? :?: :roll:

Regards,

Lexu8

I've been having a think about the 8MB cache on the drives, and I'm theorising that it should improve performance in RAID. I'm basing this mainly on the fact that only one hard disk can be active on the channel at a time. For example, when using RAID 0 or 0+1, data is written to, or read from, disks alternately. If the drive is using read ahead cache, one disk can be filling up the cache while the other is actually being read from. So if the cache size is larger, more of the reading from the disk comes from the cache at full burst speed compared to from the platters at maybe half that speed.

Where the extra cache may not matter is if the RAID controller has it's own cache and by default disables caching on the disks.