Sign in to follow this  
NFS4

Does your WD 800JB SE make a noticeable whine at idle?

WTH?? Just got my shipment confirmation...they are sending me a 100BB??

Must have been a mistake... just call them up and demand either an 800JB, a 1000JB or your money back. The performance of the WD1000BB is not "comparable", as their warranty policy promises.

I wonder why they would send me a 100BB. That doesn't even make since. I could understand a 100JB, but not a BB. That's not getting my money's worth for what I orginally purchased. :evil:

I'm going to call them as soon as they open.

NFS4, could you show me your 80JB HDTach score cause I just bought one too but I can't feel the extra performance this 8mb drive brings. Maybe the extra performance is there jsut I can't feel it ?? hehe :) Thanks

NFS4, could you show me your 80JB HDTach score cause I just bought one too but I can't feel the extra performance this 8mb drive brings. Maybe the extra performance is there jsut I can't feel it ?? hehe :) Thanks

I'll post a screenie when I get back from work.

Well, I called them up this morning and asked them WTF was going on with sending me a 100BB drive instead of a JB model. The dude told me that the "-75CHE0 " suffix at the end of the 100BB designation signified that this particular model was an 8MB drive. Ummm...ok........... :oops: :?

Makes no sense to me but whatever...

Is there anyway to tell with software if the drive has 8MB cache??

The very early JB series drives originally had the BB designation, with a slightly different suffix (the -75CHE0 the tech mentioned). Because it was causing confusion for people, WD switched over to the JB designation on the model number so people could tell easily the 2 MB version from the 8 MB version.

I think IBM's diagnostic software can report the amount of cache on a drive. Doesn't Sandra also have this capability?

Yep, bud! I have used a GXP120 40GB entire spring and summer on my office computer and it have been on day as night! No problems whatsoever!

But maybe i stay WD cos i have heard that the idle noise goes away after a while. btw...can anyone confirm this ????

I have a 80GB IBM 120GXP and a 80GB WD 800JB. The 800JB is virtually silent and has no idle whine. It's also faster and cooler than the IBM.

Why settle for a squeaky drive? Return it for a new one. I definitely recommend the WD over the IBM.

I did replace it and the new one have the same idle noises. Seems like all WD800JB here in sweden has problems. I can order a new one, but im pretty sure it hase the same issues :x

NFS4,

Did you receive your drive back from WDC? Is it New with 8MB Cache? WD800JB or WD1000JB? :roll: The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Whining 1200JB and it started to making louder whining sound about a week ago and If I should RMAs my WD1200JB Right now or wait untill something happen :?: It seems louder and louder every day :twisted: I hope WDC won't send "Used Serviceable" like IBM.

But maybe i stay WD cos i have heard that the idle noise goes away after a while. btw...can anyone confirm this ????

No, but my first (and, in the meantime, dead) 1000JB was whisper-quiet for about 10 minutes. Then, suddenly, the noise started... I should've smelled a rat in the first place.

At the moment, my advice for anyone in need of the JB performance is: get a SCSI drive. For anyone with a need for the capacity: get some other ATA drive. If you need both, at least do RAID 1 with the JBs...

Just bought a 800JB here in france and i have the same issue :cry: :evil: The drive makes noise at idle. This noise is similar to the seek noise but it never ends :(

I mailed WD and they say :

"There may be some noise on start up but then should quiet down. There is no easy way or guarenteed way of making sure this does not happen without going with all fluid bearing drives. For every 1 noisy drive there are 100 that work well, if you are uncomfortable with the noise please return the drive to place of purchase or use our RMA features available on our web."

I will try to contact my local vendor in order to remplace this drive with a barracuda 4 which is very silent

My WD800JB is silent. You could try applying sound proofing material like Dynamat or Brown Bread to the hard drive cage. That has worked for me in reducing hard drive whine.

Good choice. I've got three in my case each one isolated with 'NoVibes.' I never hear them. Ever.

I will try "NoVibes" on 2 WD800JB's. I hope that makes 'em nearly inaudible too.

Barracuda V seem to be a bit slow.

Anyone already tried "NoVibes" or similar on a WD800JB?

Whats your experiences?

I can hear my 800JB but only if I listen very hard. And I wouldn't call it a whine, more like a very faint hum. It's the most silent drive I've used so far (though I imagine a FDB drive would be quieter of course). Far quieter than my old 120GXP Deathstar.

f*** i got a

400bb, really silent

cuda iv REALLY silent

800 jb really LOUD

jet with full throttle!

its kinda annoying

u buy a 800 jb,

but what u get is something similar to a 800 jb

:-(

greetings

syn

hmm, thought I recieved a dud drive because I also have this problem. Originally it was fine with little noise, after 5-6 months it started this annoying whine. Model is a 80JB, unfortunate really because it is a pretty fast drive. Now I'm kinda stuck in choosing another 80GB when seagate reduced their warranties to 1 year, guess I have no choice but to get another WD :(

Hello there.

Bought WD800JB about two weeks ago. Now it is literally "singing" all the time during idle.

During heavy action it the writing sound has kinda Iron echo in it.

Its constant and its driving me nuts.. starts with lower whine and get higher then lower.. to describe it.

bbzzzzZZZZIIIIINNNGGGggggnnnnbbbbZZZZIIINNNGGGG

:)

Iam definetly returning this drive since my ear has been operated and really cant take constant whine sound. Now iam wondering should I try another WD800JB or go straight to Barracuda V .

I mean really WD is fast , I game alot but can you really tell the difference? .. Your opinion is appriciated :)

My 800JB also exhibts an annoying whine. My serial is a bit different with WCA8 prefix. It was manufactured on Dec 5 2002 in Thailand. Perhaps we should compile a database to see where these drives seem to be coming from. Also, any good cures besides soundproofing?

My 800JB is still silent after months of use. No idle whine and no audible seeks- very muted seeks at worst in extremely seek-intensive use.

My second 30GB 75GXP died a few days ago. My 80GB 120GXP is however working so far, but no more GXP's for me. I bought a new Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 to replace the 75GXP, which seems like a positive acquaintance so far.

Anyone have a 800JB fail? Although some (faulty) JB's seem to exhibit an idle whine, the series seems rather solid and reliable.