Sign in to follow this  
matrix1

Best Hard Drives for an UnRaid System?

Fellow Forum Members,

I'm planning to build an Unraid system. I am thinking about buying a quantity of four 14TB hard drives.  Can anyone please clarify the following for me. For hard drives with such a large capacity which of the three recording technologies shown below do Hard Drive manufacturers usually use for 14tb hard drives?

• Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR)  (aka Longitudinal Magnetic Recording (LMR)).
  • Perpindicular Magnetic Recording (PMR)
  • Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)

I'm asking because I called Western Digital technical support and he told me he could not disclose to me which of the three recording technologies their14TB Gold Label server grade hard drives use.  So I hope someone in this community can clarify this matter for me.  Additionally, I would appreciate any opinions that clarify what is behind the $147 price difference for the two 14TB hard drive options shown below:

$343 - Seagate Exos X14 14TB (ST14000NM0018): https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-002P-00RY9

$490 - WD Gold 14TB Enterprise Class Hard Drive (WD141KRYZ):   https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822234400

Is it because the Seagate Exos uses SMR technology (making it less reliable) and the WD Gold Label uses CMR technology (making it more reliable)?  These two hard drive models are the last two options I have come down two in my final decision making.  Therefore, I would be very grateful if I can get any good advice that will help me in making the final decision of getting one over the other.  Top of my list is reliability.  I don't want to buy the one that is going to fail after 3 years of use. Second on my list is noise. I don't want to buy one that is very loud.  Which of these two hard drive options  best meets these two requirements I am seeking?  Thank you in advance for any opinions. 

Seagate Exos X14 are PMR, not SMR. I wouldn’t worry about reliability between either of those two models.

We have no indication current SMR drives are any different in reliability than other hard disks, however they do have a performance penalty with large amounts of writes, and hence we do NOT recommend them for use in RAID.

Continuum,

Thank you for your post. Do you know of any penalties or negative points associated to the Seagate Exos X14 PMR drives? Do you or anybody in this community know of a website where I could see a table that lists all 14TB hard drive Manufacturers and identifies if they use CMR, PMR or SMR for their 14TB models? Obviously, I would like to stay away from SMR drives. Lastly, does anybody know what accounts for the $147 price difference between the two models I have linked? And is the WD Gold 14TB a SMR drive? Is it possible to buy a 14TB hard drive that uses CMR technology?  I ask because  I'm thinking CMR  must be the best option because it is the most direct way to record data to a platter.

There aren't that many 14TB drives on the market so I'd just scour the manufacturer spec sheets and press releases if you're really that curious. If you want to be the one to make the table and post it here then have at it.