Sign in to follow this  
cypher007

onboard raid controller giving me grief

I have had issues with the following system in the past not being stable. This was improved when Gigabyte released a new bios. Since then I have had very occasional reboots which have left the machine stuck at the "boot failure detected" screen. Which when investigating the issue it pointed to a problem with the graphics driver.

system:

windows server 2019
Gigabyte Z170M D3H F22f bios
8GB corsair 3000mghz XMP
Intel 6100T
Antec Earthwatts 380W psu
drive config below.

so moving forward I have now found a repeatable task that will cause the system to reboot every time:

1) if I copy a large file (78GB for instance) using the server 2019 desktop to push the file to a network share from the Raid 0 I have on 2x Hitachi 4TB NAS drives (that also have a raid 1 setup on them). result REEBOOT.

2) if I pull the file from the same array using another windows 10 machine it transfers fine.

3) if I transfer the same file to the other raid 0 (2x 120gb ssd's) I have on the same server it works fine.

4) if I then send that file from the SSD raid 0 to a network share it works fine.

it only reboots when I push the file from the raid 0 on the 2x NAS drives.

the drive config is as follows:

server 2019 on 2x 128GB crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 drives in raid 0.

data drives on 2x 4TB Hitachi HGST HDN724040ALE640 drives. configured as 3.6tb raid 0 and 1.8tb raid 1.

ive changed the ram to some Kingston 2400mghz ram and it seems to run fine and copy without issue. so thought it must be faulty ram. got the ram replaced and getting the same issue.

any ideas would be appreciated. some theories i have is the CPU maybe cant run at 3000mghz on the ram side as its a 6100T or faulty CPU/motherboard?

I don't know if I'd ever reccomend anyone use RAID0, especially network shares. In your setup are you using a BIOS controlled software RAID for all of this, or Windows Server software RAID?