ngurjar

Can Helium Drives can be alternative for LTO Tapes?

Can Helium drives (such as Seagate Exos) used as an alternative for LTO Tapes in terms of Longer duration?
What is life of Helium drives if they are kept in Shelves after archiving data? In case of Normal Air HDD, we need to spin up the drives every three months atleast.

There's not any difference I'm aware of, but the economics of tape for that role is still much better. 

These HDDs are new. It's hard to say if have a better life span than air HDD. Why you need to spin up the drives every 3 months ?
I keep air HDD during years without running and restart without issue when plugged.

The main issue read on helium drive is the sealing. HDD lost helium with time and you have a SMART attribute for this issue with helium level sensor.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:43 AM, Nings said:

These HDDs are new. It's hard to say if have a better life span than air HDD. Why you need to spin up the drives every 3 months ?
I keep air HDD during years without running and restart without issue when plugged.

The main issue read on helium drive is the sealing. HDD lost helium with time and you have a SMART attribute for this issue with helium level sensor.

Helium drives are not exactly new.  HGST worked on them about 10 years ago and there are other products that have used sealed helium for decades. 

Generally such products either leak from a manufacturing defect early on or survive to EOL.  It's not as if there is a semi-permeable seal area that allows slow diffusion.  The mechanical failure rate of an HDD is a higher risk than helium leak. 

I have no idea why your drives need to be used every three months other than some arbitrary business policy.