Sign in to follow this  
Glen Pinnington

File Recovery on Brand New Portable Drive

Hi, just curious about this Brand New and never used 2tb Seagate Plus portable drive that i bought 3 days ago, which i encrypted the whole volume using VeraCrypt.

After a recent File Recovery job that i did on another 2tb portable drive, i was curious about this brand new drive, so a few hours ago i copied over 4 small Word Doc files to the drive, and then i started a Deep Scan on that drive using my EaseUS Data Recovery Pro software, and after 6 hours it located 478 files with a total size of almost 1.7tb

461 of those files are ShockWave Files of various sizes, totaling about 930gb, and there is one 3DS File that is 745gb in size (don't even know what a 3DS file is) so does anyone know what is going on here.

Have uploaded screenshots of EaseUS Recovery, and a CDI screenshot of that same drive, it only shows 5 power on count and 34 power on hours, and out of that 34 power on hours, 26 hours was for running the VeraCrypt encryption.

VeraCrypt.jpg

Seagate 2tb Portable.jpg

Edited by Glen Pinnington

If you fully encrypt the drive (not fast encryption format) it is filled with pseudo-random data and perhaps your recovery software is picking up a few fragments of coincidentally similar file header info and assigning the file type.  Some of that SMART info makes no sense, but I use other tools.  Manufacturers usually have their own tools, so try that as well.  Usually on a factory new drive I find 0 hours use and 2-5 power cycles depending on manufacturer/model.

If you think the drive was used, then return it, but the encryption formatting should have effectively wiped any data.

Edited by LOST6200