Sign in to follow this  
Brian

How To: Affordable 10Gb Ethernet Discussion

You don’t need to have a massive media library or even a home lab that makes your dread your power bill every month to appreciate a fast network connection. The technology has finally dipped into the affordable range for many of us. If you are interested in experimenting with virtualization, iSCSI block storage, editing or even moving your gaming collection off your main drive – a high bandwidth connection to your other machines or servers just makes sense. We used a lot of QNAP gear in this project, there are of course other options. The ease of use and cost of the components used here though made for a great and cost effetive experience. 

How To: Affordable 10Gb Ethernet

Nice post. I've been wondering the same, but have been limited by a few things:

1. None of my PCs have available slots for 10G cards
    2. None of my workloads currently need 10G
    3. I have some old castoff hardware whose internal transfer speeds are lower than even 1G. For example yesterday I ran luckyBackup on an OptiPlex 390 with a SATA expansion card, backing up my home folder on an SSD to a Btrfs RAID1 2x2TB HDD array. Logs said I hit 68 MB/s on average, which is pretty bad
    4. My backbone switch is a 16-port model. 16-port 10G switches start at 1200 USD