Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Lacie Rugged Raid Shuttle Review Discussion

The Lacie Rugged Raid Shuttle is a new product that offers RAID desktop storage with the same ease of use as a traditional external hard drive. It is an extremely durable, high capacity, universally compatible solution for transporting large data files. The toughness of the design is essentially life proofed with drop, shock, water and dust resistance. There’s not much you have to worry about with this device. Using the provided USB cords the drive can be bus powered and transfer data up to 250MB/s. The drive comes in an 8TB capacity.

Lacie Rugged Raid Shuttle Review

I suppose these devices would be used for field video backups, but doesn't Seagate have any SSD availability? 

A 2+ lb. dual hard drive array seems rather old fashioned in 2019.  SSDs would be so much smaller and lighter and not require all that heavy/bulky protective casing. 

I wonder if they are working on that.

Probably SSDs will come, but they're still expensive and for the large block sequential type workloads most of these do, HDDs still are pretty respectable. I see these Lacie drives all over the place, especially in tech-havens like SanFran. They still hold a lot of mindshare with creative pros.