Sign in to follow this  
kixs97

HDD and slow sectors

Hi,

I've tested my 4TB drive with Victoria 4.73b and it shows quite a few slow sectors. Here is a picture:

jfFjmvvm.jpg

The one sector around 3s is my fault as I've checked SMART status while it was testing the drive.

Should I be concerned?

The drive is for backup purposes and has around 20h of usage so far. But it's not new, made in 2016.

Now I'm testing all my HDDs...

Thanks

Look at the actual data - graph doesn't show it.

mWPeWGEm.png

There are 141 slow sectors with access time of around 1 second. This usually means they were reallocated. They seem to be evenly distributed over the drive and not grouped in some area.

My other drives never show anything over 250ms access time.

Can you dump and post the SMART data for your drive? If it really is reallocated sectors, that would be parameter 05. Seems the most likely, but it could also be a few other things. Like a poor cable, or internal problems.

If it's your only backup, and the data is critical, I'd be concerned. But I'd like to see the SMART data rather than guesswork based on a performance benchmark.

No reallocated sectors. Very low start counts and run time. Low max temp. I'd chalk it up to driver or firmware hiccup every 28 GB or so.

If your backup data is critical, change drives. Otherwise, I'd pay attention to it in the future, for any misbehavior.

Edited by reader50