hash02

super slow copy from ssd to other ssd

Hi,

Copying 15GB of files - as an example - (few and large not many and small) from my C drive which is on a sata adata 128GB ssd (rated at 500MB/s reads) to my G drive with is on an intel nvme pcie ssd rated at 1800/1800 R/W is unbeliveably slow. bursts at 200MB/s settles at 47MB/s ... I'm at a loss for words.

The drives are new. they perform as expected under crystaldiskmark/atto benchmarks.

My pc specs : windows 10 64bit, ryzen 7 2700x, rtx 2080, asrock x470 taichi, all updates, latest drivers etc. i assembled the rig myself, installed the os everything myself. did not expect this at all.

Source SSD: Adata SP900 128Gb sata3 ssd

Destionation SSD: Intel ntel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB

Motherboard has latest bios from asrock page.

I did not do anything io intensive in the background, the system is not malware infected, i keep things nice and tidy both hardware and software wise.

What in the world is going on ?

What you are seeing is 100% expected. Its a QLC SSD, so once writes move outside of the write buffer, it will float at 40-50MB/s. Nothing is wrong, so nothing to really fix.

And here it is, you've successfully found the weakness of QLC drives. They're really good at a few things, and they're cost effective, but sustained writes are really tough on them. 

thank you all for your replies.

given that benchmarks on the intel 600p 1TB show something like this

1736800013_crystaldisk.png.4fbe86974ca49962ee59bcac00529607.png

I was surprised to see regular file copy to be so slow.

So, for example, since i dont really feel like spending a few hundred bucks on another nvme 1tb ssd in the near future, what should i look for when i upgrade ?

I expect the nvme write to be at least equal to the read speed of my sata drive from where i copy the files. and if i am to copy/paste from another nvme i'd like to actually see sustained +1GB/s or more speeds.

Will a samsung evo drive cut it (price wise it's almost triple that of the intel drive at least here where i live) ? is there an actual tech guide not for newbies that would help me figure out what to look for in an ssd besides price/GB ? like controller quality/flash quality, flash type qlc/tlc etc ? or could you summarize in a few but very straight to the point sentences ?

Well sure, the Samsung will be better but what to upgrade to in the future is better left as a discussion when you get there. QLC drives are just not intended to be heavy use drives, despite the NVMe interface. NVMe does not equal fast...they often are fast, even your Intel drive is fast, just not under certain conditions.

well, a friend of mine has the same intel ssd. i just saw it copy to it from another nvme the whole rainbow six siege in 2 minutes. 950MB/s sustained writes. around 80+ GB of data.

What the hell ?

So it does work and it does about 900 sustained writes using widnows copy/paste.