Roberto Avanzi

Swapping enclosure for a Micron 5210 SSD, disk no longer recognised

Hello

Recently I bought a Micron 5210 ION 7680gb. If I format it within an enclosure, it is not recognised as a readable drive in a second enclosure.

Macos’s Disk Utility or fdisk/df under linux will show a single 960Gb partition in the 7.5Tb drive. I cannot read or format it - the drive will immediately return an error.

I have to use the Storage Executive software to “sanitise” it first. Then I can format and use it within the second enclosure but then it will not work in the first one. However, once formatted the disk seems to work fine in the same enclosure, it does not look like a compatibility issue. It looks like the drive is “bound” to that interface and becomes useless if swapped out.

Is this normal? If this is a security feature, can it be disabled? Micron’s web pages did not seem useful to investigate the issue.

Thanks

Roberto Avanzi

It sounds like you are dealing with an enclosure with a chipset not designed with the intention of dealing with a very large storage device inside of it.

What hardware specifically is sitting between the host connection and the drive itself?

It appears that one enclosure is configured with a sector size of 4096 bytes while the other is configured for 512-byte sectors. When you move from one enclosure to the other, the capacity changes by a factor of 8.

7.68 terabytes / 8 = 960 gigabytes

The reason for this anomaly is that the partition table reports the number of LBAs in each partition, so the capacity of the partition is ...

(number of LBAs in partition table) x (sector size)