Hi,

I am looking for a 2,5" 2TB 9.5mm HDD that will be used for downloads and daily backups, so data will be written to it often. Then I guess I should be looking for a PMR disk but they look difficult to find these days.

Not really concerned about speed / performance, so could do with a 5,400 RPM disk. More concerned about durability and quality.

I could do with a 1TB disk as well provided it is worth going for it instead a 2TB Toshiba L200 (SMR) for example.

The M9T is too expensive.

I am ignoring all disks with a 128MB buffer, as they are SMR.

It has to be available on amazon.es, so these are the options / prices I have available:

• Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1TB - 52€
  • HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB - 73€
  • Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB - 67€
  • WD Blue WD10JPVX 1TB - 54€

Which one would you choose? Or at least, which one you would never choose?

Please don't tell me a Seagate is the best I can get !?

Thanks!

Edited by DiWiT

I'd definitely go for HGST. They are worth every penny. During the years I've had WDs, Seagates, Toshibas, HGSTs, 4 of each at least. HGSTs have by far the longest life. They usually offer a 5 year warranty, which says a lot about their life span. The oldest drives I have right now are two of them in a NAS that's been on non-stop for the last 6 years. Working like a charm.

I woudn't choose Seagate, they get very hot and are prone to short life span because of that.

And you don't need take my word for that, see some stats:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Edited by Katy

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'd definitely go for HGST. They are worth every penny. During the years I've had WDs, Seagates, Toshibas, HGSTs, 4 of each at least. HGSTs have by far the longest life. They usually offer a 5 year warranty, which says a lot about their life span. The oldest drives I have right now are two of them in a NAS that's been on non-stop for the last 6 years. Working like a charm.

You don't need take my word for that, see some stats here:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Thanks, I know blackbaze and their stats. Would the Hitachi in my list not be the same as a HGST? (a part from that model being a 5.400 RPM drive instead of the 7.200 RPM of the HGST).

As I said, I do not care that much about performance, so if the Hitachi is as good (durability, quality) as the HGST, I could save 15€ there.

Definitely. Hitachi drives are manufactured by HGST. Well, better said, were manufactured. HGST has been finally devoured by WD, which is an absolute shame. Buy it while you still can :)

Sorry, so you mean "go for the Hitachi" or "go for the HGST", from the ones in the list ?

EDIT: found another (reputable) shop where I can get the HGST 7K1000 for ~73€, so I think I will go for that one.

Thanks!

Edited by DiWiT

I have both the Samsung M9T and Toshiba L200 2TB drives installed. The L200 is a good bit faster in my benchmarking. Never been certain if it is SMR.

M9T has been in service for 3+ years. L200 for about 6 months. No issues with either.

4 hours ago, reader50 said:

This one is a 3.5" drive.

thanks, updated my main post.

5 hours ago, reader50 said:

I have both the Samsung M9T and Toshiba L200 2TB drives installed. The L200 is a good bit faster in my benchmarking. Never been certain if it is SMR.

M9T has been in service for 3+ years. L200 for about 6 months. No issues with either.

It has 128MB buffer, so it likely is.

M9T is too expensive unfortunately, and TBH, I am not sure it is better than the 7K1000...

So, if no one says the opposite, I'll be buying the 7K1000 for 73€ tonight.

EDIT: 7K1000 bought, thanks!

Edited by DiWiT

That's not quite accurate. HGST did not sell their entire 3.5" business to Toshiba. Only enough to allow Toshiba to immediately enter the consumer market as a real competitor. HGST retained plenty of 3.5" assets, and continued to sell them. With newer models introduced for years.

Right, there were certain product lines and tech that Toshiba ended up getting. They're largely closed the gap now though.