Sign in to follow this  
storageviewknight

HDD platter swap , is it possible?

Greetings everyone,

I have a Seagate ST500DM002 internal HDD wich was opened, and accidently the platter was scratched.

Therefore i want to swap that platter with another unused one of the same exact model:
   - Is it worth a try or would it not work?

-I heard that the controller also have some informations stored in as the  Serial number , HDD Type....would it be an issue? 

-Is there a way to detect that a platter swap have been done , i.e does the platter hold some  informations other than user data? like the ones in the controller concerning specs of the hard (serial number as well....) so that the swap would be detected

If any experienced geek can answer those questions i would be very thankfull , because frankly i'm a newbie in this field.

Thanks.

Forget the scratch, you killed the drive the moment you opened it. The read/write head operates at micron distance from the platter surface, therefore any grain of dust is a huge boulder in there. When you opened the drive you did let in a lot of dust. The drives are assembled in special factory chambers with just several particles of dust per cubic meter of air.

And yes, the HDD controller has a table of defective sectors which is populated at factory initialization time (since each platter comes out of the production line with its own particular bad sectors) so the controller knows to avoid those sectors during day to day operation.

I'm sorry for you, but you need to buy another drive.

Edited by Katy

Thank you for your responses katy.

So technically it is impossible ,i guess the first question was answered.

Now theorically speaking is there a relationship between the platter and the controller for that exact model?

Nevermind if it'll work or not, i just want  to replace that platter with another.

Is there a way to detect a platter swap?(theorically)

are all platters for that model an exact replica or they hold serial number too? that could be linked to the controller?

Thank you very much.

AFAIK there is no serial number involved. You could swap in a platter from an identical drive, but the factory bad sectors will be different. The controller will avoid using the old "fake" bad sectors (from the old platter) while using real bad sectors from the new platter. Also the rw head might need calibration in order to accurately land the magnetic track on the new platter.

But the elephant in the room is the dust you let in when you opened the drive. That will damage the rw heads and the platters by causing lots of micro-scratches when caught between the heads and the platter. The drive will get bad sectors in cascade, which will render it unusable very rapidly.

And be aware that you will also kill the secondary HDD when you open it to get the "spare" platter.

I think it is the SA (System Area) , wich contains the bad block  list that you are talking about.

Althought a little research made me believe in may contain more that the bad block list .

https://www.petervis.com/gallery/hard/Hard Drive Basics/Hard Disk System Area.html

UBA2 blocks occupy two sectors and contain information such as the drive ID and other parameters. You can expect to find information such as Serial Number, Firmware Overlay...

https://books.google.co.ma/books?id=pgYvDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122

I would be glad if what you said is right , may be for this particular model.