pkelecy

Data center SSD in home NAS?

I'm have a Xeon workstation that would like to re-purpose as a NAS server. I am planning to put new SSDs in it, rather than HDDs, as I don't have that much data, and I would prefer the reliability and low noise of an SSD (it will be sitting 3ft away!). My question is whether I would likely encounter any issues using a data center SSD (like a Samsung 883 DCT) rather than a consumer SSD. The data center SSD's are not that much more expensive,  but have better MTBF and TBW specs. I ask because I've read not all SSD's (or HDD's) will work in all systems. I'm not sure why that is, and it's not something the spec sheets appear to mention. But I'd prefer not to find out the hard way! ^_^

Thanks for any feedback on this.

All the SSDs should work in a QNAP or Synology for instance. The enterprise drives largely add endurance as you note. We've used a lot of DCT 860s and they've been great. Even used them in a white paper for QNAP/Veeam that was pretty fun. Anyway, if the price is close, I'd lean toward the enterprise drives. You'll get much better support too, no arguing about workload if there's a problem. 

Depends what you mean by enterprise SSD...  You can get enterprise SSD's in SATA or SAS format.  Some controllers allow you to mix and match and some don't.  Just make sure you are swapping SAS drives with SAS or SATA with SATA.  You can technically mix, but you are limiting your drive speeds to SATA speeds.