Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Plugable USBC-NVME USB 3.1 Gen 2 NVMe SSD Enclosure Review Discussion

The Plugable USBC-NVME Enclosure is a enclosure that houses M.2 NVMe drives and fits in the palm of ones hand. The enclosure allows users to choose M.2 NVMe drives, and easily install them for fast transfer speed of files. The company states that users can see over 900MB/s in performance and it fits M.2 form factors including 2280, 2260, 2240, and 2230.

Plugable USBC-NVME USB 3.1 Gen 2 NVMe SSD Enclosure Review

I plugged mine into a 2018 Mac Mini, with a 2TB Intel 660P QLC NVMe SSD, and BlackMagic reports 2830 MBps write and 2714 MBps read. Not sure how that's possible on a USB 3.1 port that is rated at "Up to 10 Gbps), unless it is going on USB through Thunderbolt3.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 11.59.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 12.02.05 PM.png

Edited by Fazal Majid

Fazal> Given how far off your results appear to be, I'd take a second look to make sure you're not testing against the internal storage in the Mini. The results you show are more in line with the internal storage in the Mini than with a USB3.1 device.

4 hours ago, Wild Frog Consulting said:

Fazal> Given how far off your results appear to be, I'd take a second look to make sure you're not testing against the internal storage in the Mini. The results you show are more in line with the internal storage in the Mini than with a USB3.1 device.

Doh. You're right, of course!

The Plugable is doing 945-960MBps read and write. Still very honorable for a combo that costs $300 for 2TB.

Hah, I can't tell you how many times I've done that in testing portables over here. Wow, that HDD is FAST!