Sign in to follow this  
DJ_Farid

[b]I cannot delete my folders....[/b]

I have a strange problem....

I need help.

I had several FAT32 partitions. Then I got this idea that I would like to have only one big NTFS partition instead. So....

I merged a few of the partitions with Partition Magic 7.0 Pro.

It took a really long time to do this. Then I figured that I'll try and convert the partitions I have left to NTFS. Maybe the merging would get faster with NTFS partitions. Since Partition magic supports NTFS also, I didn't see any problems. So I used the Win2K convert.exe. Everything seemed OK.

Then I started the merging of the partitions with Partition Magic. It did something for maybe 15 minutes. Then it complained about some error and stopped. 8O :o :x

I could see one partition in PM without a drive letter.

I closed PM and started Norton Disk Doctor. It couldn't see the partition.

Back to PM. Assigned a drive letter to that partition. Everything looked good in Explorer.

Ran Norton Diskdoctor. It found 10 folders with multiple pointers. It was able to fix it.

Disk Doctor was able to copy the contents of those ten folders. All OK.

But... It left ten folders with the original names, that I cannot access. If I try to access those folders, I get: "Invalid foldername, Cannot access".

I can rename the folders just as normally.

But I can NOT delete them. If I try to delete them I get the same "Invalid directory" message.

Scandisk nor Norton Disk Dr reports no problems. However, if I run "check partition" in Partition magic, it complains that there is some errors, please run the operating systems check utility to fix.

I don't have the spare space to redo the whole partition and I do not want to loose all my stuff in it.

I know that I took a big risk doing all this without any backups (I'm hardcore. I don't do backups nor use anti-virus software 8) :).

I want to get rid of those invalid folders. How do I delete them? Any ideas?

:?:

Thanks for any ideas that could help :D

have you tried running chkdsk on the partition, this may fix the errors. also, check the permissions set for the folders. Please post your results.

I could see one partition in PM without a drive letter.

Probably naive, but are you sure you were NOT looking to the extended one?

Moreover, why did you use all these progies at once? One job at a time dude... one job! :?

Chkdsk = No results.

Permissions looks normal.

My guess is that the FAT or some pointer is somehow happy fellowed up.

I did one program ot once.

The plan was just to use Partition Magic. But after I got the problems, I had to use the strenghts of the other progs.

It is not even possible to open two of these programs on the same time since they lock the disk/partition.

Please, more help.

Do not mix Disk Doctor and Partition Magic. PM's manuel specifically says not to use disk doctor when partitionning with partition magic. Plus, I once lost my data partition because of disk doctor. I was trying to fix a problem, disk doctor made it worse. Fortunately, I had a partial backup.

Your best bet is to try to get another hd, back up you data there, then redo all your partitons from scratch on your main Hd. Or try to get another computer with some disk space, backup your data on this computer via network and then repartition you main HD.

I don't trust convert, merge or split operations in PM. So next time you do that, try to back up your critical data. I doesn't make you more or less hard core...in my opinion. :)

Thanks for all the warning that I already knew... :wink:

Now I have made this a challenge to delete these folders.

I can't just give up and let Microsoft beat me.

Maybe Linux could help?

If I make a Linux bootdisk, could I mount my NTFS partition and maybe delete the folders that way?

Please help!

Very risky. It might be possible, but it's really risky. (You'll probably need to compile your own Linux kernel as well, as the official status of Linux NTFS write support is "DANGEROUS" and most if not all of the distributors omit the support when compiling their kernels.) Also, the write support is guaranteed to leave data corruption that chkdsk needs to fix afterward (this is an attempt at a workaround for the lack of NTFS journal format knowledge, since MS won't give the info to the Linux developers).