Sign in to follow this  
alloneword

Thoughts on WD White drives (drives that come in ext Elements)

I have bought some 8TB WD external (Elements) drives and they come with WD Whites inside.

I'm far from a expert here but i think it's a non helium drive as it seems to have a air/breath hole, I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on these drives, I know they have a new way off keeping data where one bit will sit on another bit to some degree (told you i knew little), my uses for these drives is going to be two fold, one will be sat in it's external case and used to feed my WD TV Live (yup some of still use this old kit) and the other drive will be for a back up of that drive and i'm unsure if this drive will stay in it's enclosure or if i will whip it out and stick in my Fractal Design Define XL R2 and will be cooled by silent wings fans on med voltage but will get upped in hot weather, speed is not an issue for me i think they are 52 or 54 rpm and these will do fine for me, my main concern is reliability of the drive, i know no drive is going to last forever but it has to be reliable for a decent number of years for me.

Any feedback or links would be more than welcome

Thanks

All1

IMG_20190118_151209.jpg

Those aren't sealed drives, the helium drives are flatter on top. Never seen the white labels, maybe an OEM drive?

https://www.reddit.com/r/8tbEasystore/comments/7h292h/wd80efzx_wd80efax_wd80emaz_wd80ezaz/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/91757f/shucked_a_wd_elements_8tb_and_found_a_weird/

Here are a couple of links for your info.

All1

Huh, that's interesting. It's been ages since we've seen WD product. They stopped sending us review samples because we test too hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

They stopped sending us review samples because we test too hard.

Is there such a thing, oh well still don't know if i'm going to keep them or not i'll give it a few more days of reading and see what i can find out

All1

On 1/19/2019 at 5:43 PM, Brian said:

Huh, that's interesting. It's been ages since we've seen WD product. They stopped sending us review samples because we test too hard.

It's true ? Because I not view anymore any reviews of newer WD drives and think that's due to SSD but may be not !

So clicking noise because head moving each 5sec, performance issue,.. All these issues are wanted by WD ?
All of this explain why WD refuse to "reproduce" the bench on their side and want to close the ticket now.