Sign in to follow this  
.deviant.

Performance Issues.. major performance issues.....

ok.

Asus P4S533

Promise TX2 Fasttrack ATA100 RAID

P4 2.0a @ 2.667

2x512meg Corsair XMS3000 cas2 running 400mhz cas 2

2x100gig WD 8meg cache drives (WD1000JB)

problem. THEY SUCK IN RAID!

i am getting about 42000kbps average for these drives with a stripe size of 16, 32 and 64kb. (HDtach score.)

please help!! i dont want to have wasted AUS $800 on these drives, to have them be beaten by my Seagate BARA IVs! tell me i didnt, once again, buy dud RAID drives!

is there something that im missing with the TX2 card? says that it will run on a 66mhz PCI bus, but mine is running default at 33mhz. could this be the problem?? in that im only getting half the performance that i should be getting?

When you say they are beaten by the Seagates, do you mean when configured the same way (ie tried both as RAID 0 with 2 drives)?

HDTach gives me around 20MB/s with my 4x 10k Fujitsu SCSIs. ATTO gives me 110MB/s with the same RAID set. I don't believe HDTach's results.

You need to increase the Total Length option to 32MB. The way you have tested with 4MB means the entire test data will fit in the drive cache, so your results may not be accurate.

I've had no experience with that controller or the JB drives, but I think they're decent scores. The only thing I thought may be slightly odd is the fact the the performance dropped slightly at the largest sizes. That MAY be caused by the fairly small stripe size - 16k is probably smaller than I would suggest, it means there's some overhead in breaking up the larger blocks of data in to many small chunk sizes. Try bumping it up to 64k or more. I run my RAID 0 at 128k, but every controller has it's sweet spot at a different level, and it depends on your usage.

Do you have drives on seperate ports?

Looks like data I get if I do two drives on one port

no. they are on separate ports. master on each.

i do, however, have a 40gig drive on one of the channels as slave (hey, i ran out of IDE ports on my motherboard :P). selling it soon. but that shouldnt slow down performance should it?

hmm..

Guest russofris
Do you have drives on seperate ports?

Looks like data I get if I do two drives on one port

My WD 120's and a Promise FT100 do the same thing. Performance improves a bit with a 64k stripe size.

This is a Promise/WD limitation.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

hmm. dammit.

so you say its a WesternDigital/Promise problem? argh!.

now i might hafta sell my RAID card, and buy a Highpoint one or something. shiot.

64kb stripe size. but im not dealing with big files. the RAID mainly runs games and OS, and will store some movies and stuff. so you still think 64kb best?

Guest russofris
hmm. dammit.

64kb stripe size. but im not dealing with big files. the RAID mainly runs games and OS, and will store some movies and stuff. so you still think 64kb best?

32K and 64K are the norms. 512 and 1024 are considered big and should only be used for VE and streaming. 2,4,and 16K are considered small.

now i might hafta sell my RAID card, and buy a Highpoint one or something. shiot.

I am not a HPT fan, possibly someone else can comment on how that setup would perform.

so you say its a WesternDigital/Promise problem? argh!.

nope, it is only a limitation, or rather a lack of optimization.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo