Sign in to follow this  
theflux

Best hard drive cooler?

What is the best hard drive cooler you can buy which will take up a 5.25 drive bay and mount a 3.5 drive inside of it? I am looking for one with good airflow and possibly a drive heatsink.

Keith

I mount my drives in 5 1/2 bays using spacers and have modified some cheap hd cooler fronts by reversing the fans and remounting them 1/2 an inch away from the grill using long bolts. This draws air from the back intake fan out over the drives, ( it also brings up warm air from the bottom of case,and stops it accumulating at the top, which is best way to cool mobo and cpu ) moving the fans back away from the grill makes them quieter and more efficient. The air coming out is still cool and flows really well. It is best to have a fan drawing air in at the bottom, as an exhaust fan in a pci slot is not doing much good, all the hot air above it is rising, and it is not provinding fresh air for your cpu fan.......Works for me.

I've been checking that coolermaster one out quite a bit, read some reviews. Admittedly the reviews were all linked from coolermaster, so I doubt I would find any bad ones linked from them =) Anyways most of them showed about a 18% drop in temps or 3c which in my eyes is pretty sweet. So I think I will end up getting one of these. Thanks guys, but if you have any more feedback post it here, I'll check back before I buy.

Keith

I've been checking that coolermaster one out quite a bit, read some reviews.  Admittedly the reviews were all linked from coolermaster, so I doubt I would find any bad ones linked from them =)  Anyways most of them showed about a 18% drop in temps or 3c which in my eyes is pretty sweet.  So I think I will end up getting one of these.  Thanks guys, but if you have any more feedback post it here, I'll check back before I buy.

Keith

I have the coolermaster that you are thinking of buying. Don't, unless you can put up with the noise the fan makes. After a while, the fan begins to whine and you will not be able to stand sitting right next to your PC.

I still use the heatsink, but I had to turn the fan off.

I have the coolermaster that you are thinking of buying. Don't, unless you can put up with the noise the fan makes. After a while, the fan begins to whine and you will not be able to stand sitting right next to your PC.

I still use the heatsink, but I had to turn the fan off.

Same here. I originally thought that whine was caused by my case fans, so I replaced them all with PC Power & Cooling Silencer fans. That didn't work, so I narrowed the whine down to that little fan. The enclosure itself makes a great heatsink, and my Atlas 10K III is cool to the touch.

If you have two 5.25" bays free, I would suggest the Bay Cool III.

My case is about 45dba all the time now, and 60ish when I turn the fans up. It's just the wooshing of air though, so it isn't very annoying. Do you think I would be able to hear the whine over 45db?

Keith

If you don't mind having it stick out of the front of your case a bit, there is the almost-forgotten Globalwin I-Storm crossflow fan. Here's a review showing the fan, which is nearly as wide as the fan bay and has a reputation for running whisper-quiet: SysOpt review I have a feeling the appearance issue will be a love-or-hate thing... ;)

I have 2 of the coolermaster units and although the fans can be heard, they are not loud at all. I have 2 x15 drives in them- an 18 and a 36 gb version. They seem to run cool to the touch (at least the back part that I can get to with my finger when they are installed) and a little thermistor from my digital doc unit measures from 34-41 degrees temp depending on idle vs. thrashing (almost always reading 37-38 under normal use).

FWIW.