Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Dell EMC VxRail P570F Review Discussion

The Dell EMC VxRail P570F is an all-flash (F) HCI appliance that is geared toward performance (P). These new versions of VxRail bring easy to deploy HCI that are now built off a Dell EMC PowerEdge backbone. PowerEdge servers offer a slew of benefits for customers that are looking to use HCI, and the VxRail platform makes it easier than ever for customers to stay updated at the OS or even host level. As with most Dell EMC offerings, there is a massive variety of configurations giving it the flexibility to hit just about any need. Being aimed at performance, the Dell EMC VxRail P570F can be outfitted with up to 3TB of memory per node, supports NVMe storage, and networking up to 25GbE.

Dell EMC VxRail P570F Review

Is it just me or are the SQL server avg latency results and Sysbench average TPS results rather lackluster? Compare against the SC5020 that achieved 6-8ms or the QSAN XCubeFAS review that achieved 5ms across the board. 21-26 is rather poor for the SQL latency.

However further on with the SQL, Oracle and VDI results is seems far more competitive. What am I missing?  

VDbench results surrounding database performance are geared more to show what full pedal to the metal performance potential is. Our SQL Server Benchmark Factory test is more useful at showing what a heavy load database does from a latency perspective. HCI traditionally will be a few steps slower than a SAN, but a SAN isn't the main competition. Its more towards integration, ease of use, etc while still being fast enough for most usecases.

It seems the VDBench is better able to take advantage of the distributed performance across the cluster vs the SQL Server test is essentially testing a single node / single DB?

Its more towards the different type of test they are. VDbench will run full bore to leverage as much storage I/O as it can, while the SQL Server test we run is latency focused. You could easily drive more I/O, but its goal is more of a set I/O and aiming for lowest latency.