Slade

Need a 4 bay NAS that can attach to a Smart TV

A close friend called me looking for Christmas shopping advise: wants a 4 bay NAS that he can connect to via Ethernet to manage content, but its primary purpose is to attach with a USB cable to a smart TV (Samsung TV that currently uses a 3TB WD external loaded with mkv files that he rips from his BR disks) in his wife's office.  I pretty much always build my own so am clueless on the ability to attach a TV to an NAS like this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

I assume the TV will handle a 4-bay NAS just fine? I've run into some limited USB device class implementations before where it handed a single-drive device just fine but then didn't know what to do with an unexpected device class.

Regardless, I'd guess something baseline like a Synology DS418j would be a decent place to start?

+1 for Synology. Alternatives to look at are QNAP, ASUSTOR, Thecus, and TerraMaster.

Make sure you/they also grab drives engineered for the rigorous 24x7 environment that a NAS is known for. Our drives in this space are dubbed IronWolf & IronWolf Pro, and when you pair them with compatible units from Synology and the others listed above, you get an extended drive health monitoring feature known as IHM (IronWolf Health Management).