Sign in to follow this  
Nings

WD Black WD4005FZBX

Hello,

WD force a new thing on newer drive Black and Gold line for sure but may be other hdd line.
The head move each 5sec even during sequential read/write.
Reply from WD support : "the noise you hear every 5 seconds is by design to prevent media lube build up due to prolonged dwelling at a single location"

Idle or squential read, you can hear a noise of the head moving trough the whole drive and return to his position.

Someone found a way for stop that or you just stop buying WD drive ?
I'm almost sure that's just kill your drive quickly and cut the performance(latency) by lost the reading/writing track.

Thank you

Quite a few drive makers have done periodic thermal or drive lube re-calibration in the past, seeing it on the Gold line doesn't surprise me, but the Black line does disappoint me a little if this is really widespread, since that's supposed to be a desktop drive...

Even during sequential reads and writes would be very, very surprising tho...

Look my other post with the result.

Launch a write sequential access with a random read access and you can view quickly the bad result compared with a older WD Black..

Is this with the drive in use as a data drive? Can you post a screenshot with a drive activity trace?

Does this happen even if the drive is mounted out of a case and on a smooth firm ESD-safe surface?

Just trying to eliminate all the other variables here, because this sounds like defective behavior to me. We use craptons of drives here and would reject any lot with that defect.

No this drive have absolute no datas, no partitions and not mounted. I not write any datas on a disk with this kind of noise.
A HDD is like a clock, the sound should be good before use it :)

I have tested this drive and record the noise during a whole sequential read of the drive put on a ESD bag. (the heads shouldn't move at all during sequential read. Heads move track by track slowly and not emit any noise.)
When you add a random read access hdd emit exactly the same noise with normal noise of the heads moving due to the random access.
Old WD Black like a old WD Red (5400rpm) with a slower access time but work always with one slow access and one more faster all the time. But the new disk have a lot of slow access with access time up to 6sec. It's delay the random read access by 40% about. (old WD ~100 request, new WD only ~60 request completed and after long time ~1000 for old and ~600 for new with the exact same test.) The old WD Black is also more quiet than the new.

It's probably not a defect but a firmware issue with a programmed heads movement each X sec with or without disk access.

WD_Black.mp3

WD1.png

Well, with the logs you have, go back to Western Digital and send them the trace. Plot it out on a chart if it makes it more obvious. You should be able to get it up to level 3 support for a more detailed explanation.

It's that their level 3 support ?

After reviewing the data provided from IOPing, there seems to be some very high CCTs (>2 seconds). While IOPing can measure CCTs, we don’t use this benchmark as we focus more on more prevalent benchmarks such as PCMark, CDM, HDTune,  IOMeter, etc.

For PCMark Vantage, the current model is ~5% higher in overall storage score. The subset score for gaming is ~10% higher than the earlier model. IOMeter testing through various queue depths and block sizes from 4K to 128K shows a significant increase in throughput in sequential writes and reads of >90MiB/s. Random Read IO/s increased from ~5-10% throughout the various queue depths as well and Random Writes showed much more than this. With the previously mentioned high CCTs, this could be indicative of either a suspect HDD, Host configuration and/or overhead, or other. In short, all validation testing shows that the current Black model meets or exceeds all design criteria for performance with noticeable improvements over previous generations. Again, we always appreciate seeing the test methodologies and results from end users for comparison to our own, in this instance, we don’t see any issue in HDD capabilities.

If it's the same guy who program firmware and benchmark the results it's sure all next WD HDD are ready for trash !

A company who manufacture HDD since so many years...