Sign in to follow this  
Zaphod

WD800JB = HOT ?

Okafter reading that some of your 800jbs are loud i have to say that mine isn`t. Its only a bit louder than the BarracudaIV. BUT it gets quite hot. SR says 15°C...Well, if i touch the HDD at the side (when its not mounted) or on the bottom where the electronic parts are it gets quite hot so i can`t touch it longer than some seconds cause its so hot. :?

No problem. At least you can touch it for a few seconds. It shouldn't be working off limits... no worries.

I assume you're referring to 15 C over ambient, not 15 C absolute, right? If so, then a drive running 15 C over ambient wouldn't be considered hot at all.

I assume you're referring to 15 C over ambient, not 15 C absolute, right? If so, then a drive running 15 C over ambient wouldn't be considered hot at all.

Shortly put, the 800JB is SILENT, COOL, AND VERY FAST. Sure as h*ll it ain't hot or loud.

Shortly put, the 800JB is SILENT, COOL, AND VERY FAST. Sure as h*ll it ain't hot or loud.

It can get hot, depending on the environment it's in (i.e., stuff it into a computer whose case/ventilation system was designed to cool only a 250MB Quantum ProDrive LPS, and it might reach 45C, which is hot but still well within the acceptable range). It is very cool compared to other 7200RPM drives, but that claim needs to be kept in perspective; it still puts out considerably more heat than (at least some) newer 5400RPM drives, and while it's going to stay cold to the touch in many systems, it's going to get hot in a few systems.

Sorry, i don`t know the difference between ambient and absolute, i`m just referring to the 15°C that "StorageReview" measured.

So i was just wondering that i can`t touch my 800JB for longer then some seconds at certain parts , because its too hot. At 15°C it should rather cool my fingers ?!

that means 15oC above ambient :D

soo.. if it is about 30oC outside your case.. or just the air inside your case, the drive is going to be approx 45oC. thats what it means.

also. the 15oC is what storage review found. may be different for you.

ie. my Glacial Igloo 4300 (p4 heatsink with nifty clip).

their website says its 0.34 C/W

www.dansdata.com says its 0.49 C/W (i think its .49.. check later)