Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Intel Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) Review

Ultimately, what Intel VROC provides systems vendors like EchoStreams is a simplified way of delivering RAID with NVMe SSDs. The result is EchoStreams can deliver excellent throughput and latency with less complexity and cost. Further, thanks to the additional features from Intel VMD, EchoStreams customers get improved system serviceability with features like NVMe SSD hot swap, NVMe drive light support and bootable RAID with pre-boot configuration. As noted, the use cases are varried, but clearly there's huge potential for CDNs and others who can benefit from enterprise-grade RAID across the fastest storage and networking interfaces widely available.

Intel Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) Review

Maybe this is common knowledge, so forgive my out-of-the-loop-ness, but I would have been really interested in the cpu overhead of the different configurations.

RAID10 for example looks real interesting from a io performance result point of view. If the vroc would eat up half a dozen cores to get there though. That would be a VERY different cup of tea.

We could remove VROC and run with software RAID and compare results, which of course we did not do for this review. There is a little overhead for VROC but it's not severe from what we can tell. Maybe some day we can dive into this further. 

• Like 1

We do track/collect CPU stats during the runs as part of the vdbench logging if you wanted to see more of the raw output. Its just not a part that we track.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch for the replies. 

I don't necessarily need vdbench logging or a deepdive. 

Ballpark number of x Cores for RAID 1/5/10 read/write would be totally sufficient....

I could live with loosing a core/thread or two to the vroc sw raid. 4+ definitely not.

thanks again

Well this platform is gone but we will see what we can do going forward to draw out some of that information. Always appreciate the constructive feedback.