Sign in to follow this  
AndreSchmitz

Intel-SSD for MS SQL Server Log-Files

Hi all! 

we are Upgrading 2 SQL Server with  a pair of Intel DC P4600 SSD. After this the Server will have 2 x Intel DC P3700 800GB and 2 x Intel DC P4600 2TB. One Pair as Mirror for SQL LOG-Files and one Pair for TempDB.

As we wont have the time for excessive testing im curious which pair would suite best for the Log-files and which for the TempDB? Normaly it is told that Log-file == sequential write. so i would use the P3700 for LOG as they outperforms the P4600 in raw sequential writes. On the other Hand the P4600 offer SO much more IOPS (both read and write) that im struggeling with my decission.

The Server are doing OLTP and OLAP-Workload. The OLAP-workload is TempDb-Heavy and the OLTP LOG-Heavy...and both are equal in priority ... to make finding a decission easier...

I attach the Intel ARK product compare as link for both SSD

https://ark.intel.com/en/compare/79627,122509

Thank you very mutch, 

Andre

The P4600's are 2TB units? I'd use whatever drive pair's capacity is more suitable for your workload. With the greater NAND on the 2TB drives, they should sustain performance longer.

Yes the P4600 are 2TB - Units.

When we started planing the Upgrades we wanted to use P4610 - Drives with 1,6TB instead. Unfortunately Fujitsu will not certify this drives for the RX4770 m3 - series server. At this Point we are not capacity-bound but Performance- and moneybound ;-)