Sign in to follow this  
ChiefBigFeather

PCH vs CPU lanes 2018

Dear Community,

I remember reading that connecting your m.2 pci-e drive via PCH used to gimp it. Specifically because 4k random read latency used to be way worse. Am I imagining things or was this a thing? There is a comparison by Techspot but it does not seem to be very in depth: https://www.techspot.com/review/1646-storage-performance-intel-z370-vs-amd-x470/

Do you happen to know if there is a review here testing this with newer chipsets?

Thanks in advance!

Chief

I'm looking for benchmarks but not seeing any outside of a bunch that do RAID testing, which isn't terribly relevant to single drive setups, since I would be much less surprised at the DMI 3.0 link used on the mid-range and higher chipsets being saturated with a bunch of NVMe drives.

For a single drive unfortunately, not seeing anything, although there could still be an impact. However, given DMI 3.0 is basically a PCI-e 3.0 x4 link, and we know even high-end NVMe SSDs using PCI-e 3.0 x4 don't come anywhere close to saturating the link in 4K I/O's, I don't know how much of a concern it actually is.

As the Techspot article says, the older DMI 2.0 link on the budget chipsets is a different story.

edit: ah! Maybe this?
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Quick-Look-AMD-Ryzen-X470-NVMe-Storage-Performance

Edited by continuum
more links

Thanks a lot! That benchmark is interesting.

So maybe I was remembering old info. Interesting to see that AMD is quite a lot more latency. I hope they can improve that with zen 2.

Seems like there is an error in the latency chart, the description should probably read latency in ms (lower is better) :)

LOL, you're at a site that used to post the data translated to either in average latency (ms), IOPS, and MB/sec... wrong place to complain. ;)