Sign in to follow this  
blackbirdz

Dell MD1220 + Non Dell Certified Drives + Non PERC card ?

Anyone knows if I would be getting problems/alerts for putting in Non Dell branded drives into Dell PowerVault MD1220? 

I plan to use the Dell MD1220 enclosure as the JBOD enclosure. But from several forums I read, this will work, but Dell OpenManage software will keep throwing alerts that the drives are non-certified or something like that.

Let say I use standard generic LSI/Adaptec RAID controller instead of Dell PERC card, would this be good to work around this and would Dell OpenManage work with generic LSI card? Appreciate all feedback.

Alerts maybe, but the drives should still work for a JBOD. If an array, there's often a very restricted whitelist of drives supported. 

There was a time, many many moons ago, where Dell actually blocked using your own drives.  This was around the old poweredge 2650/2850 days.  
I had moved to HP DL380 G4's around that time, doing a whole DC refresh, since I was at the time having issues with the embedded PERC card.

The Dell support person, had the nerve to tell me, "Sometimes the RAID card spits out a bad parity, and you have data loss."   Yup, goodbye Dell, hello HP.

But then, I had to deal with the HP way of servers...  HP would box your server in about 8-12 boxes.  2nd CPU, extra RAM, extra HDD's, etc were all in their own box, that I or my tech's would self-install.  Where as Dell was built-to-order in a single box.  I have to find the old magazine advertisement that showed that...