oslasi

Samsung 860 EVO SSD VS SAS HDD

Hi,

i am searching for disks to use on my production server and considering to use the Samsung SSD drives.

After reading this post: http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_860_evo_ssd_review i would like to check if there is any review comparison between the SSD drive to the SAS drive ?

or any recommendation based on personal experiance 

thank you

ori

I have a similar query...  I need to replace some SAS 10k and 15k 2.5" drives.
SSD (even SATA) would offer substantial performance increase, responsiveness and temperature reductions. There are also SATA based SSDs for enterprise environments.

Unsure about longevity though and if there are any other concerns. There are some articles on StorageReview that have some similar test results to compare to SAS HDDs - 
https://www.storagereview.com/samsung_850_pro_ssd_2tb_review

I guess it would also depend on your use case though. What's your server doing? How many users? What's your drive configuration? How much storage do you need?

I was looking at:
4* disk (250GB) RAID 10 for VMS (low requirement) and exchange logs
4* disk (500GB) RAID 10 for exchange (50 users)
6* disk (500GB) RAID 6 for user data, sharepoint and WSUS

Am also considering SAS SSD or NVMe addin card.

I'm confused...you want to know how much better an SSD is over a SAS HDD? The answer is a lot...endurance isn't really an issue but you need to understand your workload if you're sourcing your own drives and not buying as part of a packaged array. 

@brian , Indeed I have a very similar question.

I have a small home ESXi server that I managed to get hold of - a Dell T430 which has a Dell PERC H730 RAID Adaptor and a 16 bay, 2.5" SAS/SATA enclosure. Currently, there are two small SAS drive as RAID 1 (1TB, mainly for booting vHDD of various VMs), so 14 bays are free. There is also an LSI 9260-8i RAID Adaptor  with 4 x 3.5" WD Red drive as RAID 6 although this keeps mucking about on me and I think a drive is failing. This RAID 6 array is around 5TB, although less than 50% full. 

The workload for me is general IT labbing. I spin up different VMs to test various different integrations, but also have some general full time running AD workhorse stuff, such as Exchange (although the user count is negligible), a File Server to save data (mainly photos), and a couple of other VMs.

In the first instance, I'm looking to use a couple of the 2.5" slots with some SATA SSDs (around 1TB each I think) as RAID 0, but might well look to increase these over time, so build a redundant array but get good speed, for both boot VMs and to store data.

What I'm interested in is, should there be anything to look out for with the cheaper consumer SSDs (like the Samsung 860)  when adding them to RAID controller such as the Dell PERC, and building a RAID array? Is this a no-no, or a viable option?

They should work just fine, but like anything with not-specifically-tested-as-compatible gear, if you get any weird behaviour, you may be on your own for solving it...

Resolving oddities == fine

Spending money on SSDs that are doomed to simply not work in this scenario != fine 

:)

Thanks for the heads up. 

On 8/11/2018 at 9:58 PM, swinster said:

What I'm interested in is, should there be anything to look out for with the cheaper consumer SSDs (like the Samsung 860)  when adding them to RAID controller such as the Dell PERC, and building a RAID array? Is this a no-no, or a viable option?

The problem is the vendors get grumpy with us when we start looking at that as they're not really supported and most consumer drives will do poorly in enterprise workloads. The cost delta between high end consumer and cheap SATA enterprise has also closed.