Sign in to follow this  
sunama

what drive do u get in return for an rma'd drive?

hi.

its known that if u rma a drive by ibm, in return they send u a refurbished drive.

however, for those who have rma'd to other hd companies, could u please tell us whether u recd a refurbished drive in return or a brand new one?

so we are looking at

seagate

maxtor

western digital

thanx

Seagate: Never owned any that died (not saying they are infallible, I just haven't owned any for long)

Western Digital:

Refurb every time a few years back. Haven't returned any new ones so that may have changed.

Maxtor: Usually refurb. I sent in a 40GB 7200RPM once and got back a 45GB 7200RPM, which I have never seen for sale anywhere. Weird. Other than that:

For two 10GB 5400RPM's I got two 3GB 5400RPM'ers, one of which died almost immediately, the other of which is still in use.

For another 40GB 7200RPMer I got back.... a 40GB 7200RPMer.

For a 6GB 5400 I got back a 10GB 7200.

It seems they give you the same drive if they have any, the next largest up if not, and favor refurb drives over new. My 45GB was not labelled refurbished--all the others were (and all but the one still works fine)

seems that refurb drives are the order of the day.

anyone who has recently rmad a wd SE drive? what drive did they get back?

or even a seagate (i might be rma'ing a seagate within the next week. but i am gonna try a few tricks first, when i get the time)?

I RMA'd a WD307AA drive a couple of months ago and got a refurbrished drive back. They said it would take 10 business days, but I got it after 4 from when they got the drive.

Steve

I don't get it...

Are you guys shipping drives back to the manufacturers?

Don't you guys buy drives through the distro channels?

When I RMA a drive I always get a brand new one in return -- at my distributor's returns counter. I let them deal with the manufacturer.

Piyono

Oh... it just occured to me that not everyone here is a reseller. I guess most of us are buying drives retail.

Do most of you buy drives at stores or online?

Piyono

Seagate typically send recycled drives, but they're typically very well remanufactured. Seagate's RMA'ed drives are very reliable in my experience.

Quantum/Maxtor typically send new drives. Again, reliable.

IBM typically a "User Serviceable Part" which are usually poorly remanufactured drives which are even less reliable than the new drives. I generally pass on returned IBMs to other punters via EBay.

Recently RMA'd a 9 gig Viking drive. got a 9 Gig Atlas V in exchange.... I think we came out ahead on that deal...

The problem with useing a distributer's return desk, is that they will only warranty an item for a very limited time (less than 30 days normally), so you have to deal with the manufacture ussually.

I've found maxtor to be the best RMA service, we got the RMA thursday afternoon, got the replacement drive Tuesday morning, but Ive seen them have the drive to me the next day, (if I call in the morning)

IBM is the worst. Havent had to RMA a segate or WD drive, so I dont know what they're like (we use maxtor in about 98% of our computers)