Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Synology DiskStation DS1618+ Now Available

The DS1618+ is comes equipped with a quad-core Intel Atom processor C3538 (which is also found in RS2818RP+ and RS2418+/RS2418RP+) and 4GB of DDR4 non-ECC SODIMM, the latter which can be upgraded to a hefty 32GB (ECC SODIMMs). The maximum storage capacity can also be expanded to an impressive 192TB when using two DX517 expansion units, allowing growing companies to plan ahead with their data growth. Moreover, the DS1618+ supports Synology's M2D17 PCIe adapter card, which can be outfitted with a dual M.2 SATA SSD so users can leverage SSD cache to increase maximum throughput and reduce I/O latency. Users can also install a network interface card in the PCIe slot with up to two 10GbE ports for a maximum throughput of 1,551 MBps reading and 586 MBps writing.

Synology DiskStation DS1618+ Now Available

If the PCIe slot is used for a dual port 10GbE card (one to direct connect to a windows PC also via a 10GbE card, the other to future proof the DS1618+ by being able to connect to a 10GbE router when they become more ready available at a cheaper price), what performance issues are potentially compromised by not having the PCIe slot available for Cache?

I would like to be able to add photos, stored on a 32 or 64GB SD card directly to the NAS (using Downloader Pro to setup directories, add GPS data, copyright info) and then, as time becomes available, be able to read back say 100 Raw shots (35MB ea) at a time into Adobe Bridge and process them using Camera Raw/Bridge storing keepers as DNG & Jpg files.

I would like to have internet access for viewing and storing (small quantities) remotely - mainly by other family members and friends. Network bandwidth is a problem in many parts of Australia. When I am away from home for extended periods I store photos on my laptop (and High capacity portable external drives) and will then want to transfer them on mass to the NAS on return. This does not have to be super fast.

Can anyone see any issues with this before I commit to the DS1618+?

Thank you