lhuce

[2.5"] Upgrading my laptop from 1TB to 2TB !

Hello guys,

After many searches on the internet (where I learned that there's actually a difference between IDE and SATA, and that there are various rack sizes...), I'd like to upgrade my laptop from 1 TB to 2TB.

Laptop : Acer Aspire V3-772GTX-54218G1TMakk (september 2014).

(No SSD slot, and I don't need any SSD).

Original HDD : WDC WDJPVX  (1 TB 5400 rpm, SATA III - says HWiNFO). I was happy with it (though it's slow, it resisted many shocks, and some system crashs that put the hardware up to 100°C for a while).

Height (in./mm) : 0.374/9.50

Length (in./mm) : 3.94/100.20

Width (in./mm)  : 2.75/69.85

The new HDD will be the main and only drive. I use the PC for video / office / P2P apps, and it's running 24/7.

I run Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

I already have backups, I'll use this tutorial (if there's nothing missing) ? and will put the original HHD in a brown paper bag :)

Questions :

1°) The Acer customer service tells me that the rack (thickness and plasturgy) can only match a 7 mm or 9.5 mm HDD. Can an adapter improve the possible HDD thickness ? like those :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Aspire-V3-471g-V3-771g-V3-772/dp/B00K4QJ5X8

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Aspire-V3-471g-V3-771g-V3-772/dp/B00K4QJ5X8

This website 

only suggests 7-9 mm HDDs for possible upgrades

I would need 3TB, but since it's not available in 7-9 mm...

2°)  Any hardware incompatibility for a 2TB HDD ? Like with the motherboard or anything.

3°) If limited to 7-9mm, which 2TB 2.5" internal HDD should I choose ? I need one that's quiet, and I didn't find any 7200RPM.

a°) These tree Seagate all have the same specs, right ? so I'm confused (5400rpm, 128MB cache buffer, 140MB/s data transfer rate).

b°) Only the WD20SPZX has 16MB of cache, but does it really matter ?

All four HDD are within the dimensions of the original HDD :

- Seagate ST2000LM015 BarraCuda    

- Seagate ST2000LM007 Mobile HDD

(it has a good review here but I read, on the forum : "As for 9.5mm thick drives, there's only one with 2TB, that no matter officially many places sell as a Seagate drive, is actually a Samsung

drive...AVOID this drive. It's problematic with LARGE tendency for sooner

than later start to make all kind of noises. " ---> And I don't know how to avoid that, buying it from Amazon or else...)

- Seagate ST2000LX001 FireCuda

- Western Digital Blue WD20SPZX.

- any other ?

Thanks !

G.

1) An adapter cannot increase the bay height in your notebook. Drives up to 9.5mm only. Plenty of people are waiting for 3TB in 9.5mm, but they're not in a hurry to release one.

2) Not that I'm aware of. SATA is a standard, it should just work.

3) There are no 7200 RPM notebook drives above 1TB.
3a) You didn't list the three drives.
3b) The Samsung M9T - that warning is one person's experience with it. I've had that exact drive in my MacBookPro for 3+ years without a single issue.

1) An adapter cannot increase the bay height in your notebook. Drives up to 9.5mm only. Plenty of people are waiting for 3TB in 9.5mm, but they're not in a hurry to release one.

2) Not that I'm aware of. SATA is a standard, it should just work.

3) There are no 7200 RPM notebook drives above 1TB.
3a) You didn't list the three drives.
3b) The Samsung M9T - that warning is one person's experience with it. I've had that exact drive in my MacBookPro for 3+ years without a single issue.

Thanks reader50 for answering the technical questions !

Since these HDD have the same specs (right?), then I'll just need to know which is the most quiet and reliable one (?).

(BTW, I was wrong : the Western Digital Blue WD20SPZX has 128MB of cache just like others, but I get an error when I try to edit the first post).

We do have a 1TB, 2.5" BarraCuda Pro (model ST1000LM049which is 7mm height, 7200 RPM and 128MB cache, comes with a 5 year warranty if that fits the bill for you.

Thank you for considering Seagate, regardless of which route you decide to go in the end!

My Samsung/Seagate 2TB M9T 9.5mm 5400RPM drive has been working flawlessly with a power on time of 638 days spinning and I think reviews of it generally are very good. 

I would get the FireCuda model, hybrid is better than straight mechanical. Same with vehicles. A bit extra cost with good performance boost at times.

Edited by danwat1234
hybrid