Treyisaphish

Hard Drive Upgrades for Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008)

Hi guys!

I have an Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 that CHEWS up drives and spits them out!!

This box is a MONSTER...  2 x 3.2ghz Xeons, 24 Gig of Ram, Apple RAID Card...

It has had ALL manner of SAS and SATA drives in it.  If you have the Apple Raid Card, it will utilize SAS drives.  Originally, it had 2 Seagate Cheetah 15,000 RPM drives,

but they melted.  Anyway, here is the thing...  The Specs from Apple call for SATA or SAS drives with 16 MB of cache.

Here is the Question....   Can I use current SATA II or III drives or SAS drives with HIGHER than 16 MB Cache, like 32 or 64 MB?

The Seagate Cheetah 15,000 RPM SAS drives were Enterprise Rated, so in that vein, I am kinda drawn towards the Western Digital 4TB DataCenter Capacity

hard Drive, 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64 MB cache.

Will this work?

Thank you in advance for any input.  Feel free to be as descriptive as you like as to why or why these will or won't work in my machine.

Edited by Treyisaphish

The controller doesn't care about the amount of cache on the drives, you should be fine with just about anything.

You won't see any difference between desktop or nearline disks for your purposes. If you plan to run them in RAID you may want NAS or nearline (Enterprise) disks but otherwise, again, you'll see no difference.

Also, any idea why drives keep failing? Just how often are you seeing disk failures?

3- 5 years.  I can only surmise that because I stripe them ( RAID 0) for performance, they get worked to death! :o !

I utilize Time Machine for hourly backups, so no worries there.

So I should be OK with Western Digital Gold or Black drives then?

Thank you, Continuum !

Any idea what kind of temperatures your drives are seeing-- can you pull the SMART data?

IIRC the old cheese grater style Mac Pro's don't have any fans near the drive bays, hence my inclination to ask about temps...

Assuming that's Fahrenheit, you are well within safe ranges and shouldn't be causing drives to fail. I would be looking at other possible causes, including how you handle drives before/during installation.

Or honestly, if you get 3-5 years out of drives in a machine that old, consider if it's even worth the effort to worry about why drives fail, and just deal with it...