Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Dell-EMC VNX replacement options

Hello everyone! My organization is currently in the process of investigating options for replacing our currently primary storage platform. Details of the current setup:

• 2 * Dell-EMC VNX5200 appliances in our production DC

• A 3rd VNX5200 in our DR DC (located in a separate country than the prod DC)

• RecoverPoint appliances for a modest amount block-level replication between appliances

• 90-95% storage presented to VMware vSphere environment, with the rest presented to Oracle physical DB servers

• All storage currently presented via FC/block

Some of the requirements

1. Increase in performance over existing platform

2. Able to handle a wide range of workloads and IO requirements

3. Move to iSCSI

4. Replication and the appliance level (i.e., migrate away from RecoverPoint appliances)

5. Better file support – it would be nice to present more of our files shares natively at the appliance level (not a must, but nice-to-have)

6. Better ability to leverage storage snapshots (i.e., Veeam Storage Snapshot backups)

We are currently looking at two vendors/models: the Dell-EMC Unity range (most likely hybrid Unity 400), and the NetApp FAS range (most likely FAS2650 range).

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the above? Are you going through a similar process yourself? Are you using either vendor in your current environment? Would you have any other alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on the above.

I like to call a VNX/Unity a great SAN with NAS capabilities, and NetApp a great NAS with SAN capabilities.

With each Unity, you do get RecoverPoint for VM's, which is a VM based RP solution.  No more RPA's, and LUN based protection! Its at the VMDK level now. I think you get about a dozen or so licenses.  To do app consistent snapshots, you will need AppSync.  Great product IMO.  They have new licensing bundles, and new maintenance options that are much lower in cost than before.  

NetApp doesn't have anything like RecoverPoint, but their SnapManager line of stuff is really good, not to mention, really a leader in just plain snapshot technology.  A lot of times, to use their cool stuff, you need to be doing it over NFS/CIFS...  But that's not a bad thing, just different from what you're doing today.

You really can't go wrong with either.  Though, you're wasting your time with a hybrid array IMO. Go all flash.  But then again, just about ANYTHING current will perform better than your VNX, so that checks off one requirement for you.

I can't think of much else out there that will do both block and file, in the same caliber as Unity/NetApp.  Dell's Compellent file solution is pure utter crap, HP has nothing great on file, HDS too complex for most; great in the enterprise though.