Sign in to follow this  
Steined

It is safe to keep a drive in full state for long time???

Hi.Im just wondering is that safe to keep an External HDD in full state for long time.I mean for Drive Health???Because the SMART softwares warn when a drive is in low space available??

Edited by Steined

Steined may mean extended use of a drive while it's 95% full or higher. For a boot drive, I want to stay below 80% full. Going higher will cause severe file (and free space) fragmentation, and force a workout upon the heads to read/write files. This might shorten the life of the drive. It will certainly slow things down.

For a drive in storage (file archiving for example) it doesn't matter how full it is. Go up to 99% if you like.

For a media drive (mostly read from, few writes), I'm OK with 90% full. For a regular working drive, I use the same 80% rule as for a boot drive. Go above 80%, clear it down or buy a bigger drive.

Agreed, and just remember to safely eject the drive and have the computer on a UPS with automatic shutdown software if you leave the drive on a lot -- USB drives are easily corrupted if disconnected during a write.